Why can my daughter still receive text messages from restricted numbers?
Bethanie8
Enthusiast - Level 2

We just purchased a phone with family base for my daughter. I want to restrict all her calls and texts/imessages all the time, every hour of every day, except for my and my husband's phone numbers. I set up restrictions on her phone for every day from midnight to midnight, but numbers who are not on her trusted contacts list can still text/imessage her (although those same numbers -- which are not on her trusted contacts list -- cannot CALL her).  Why is this happening?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Daughter getting texts from contacts when phone is restricted
Tidbits
Legend

Verizon services doesn't block iMessages so that's what they are probably getting.

View solution in original post

pherson
Champion - Level 1

Why does she have a phone?

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

I'm not familiar with family base, the only thing I can think is that a setting isn't correct. Such as "midnight to midnight", most of the time I see that time frame listed as 12:00am to 11:59pm. I just watched the short video explaining what Family Base is and one that stuck out as I didn't see anything about blocking, just locking. However as a separate feature you can block calls and messages for Free, you just have to turn it on.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Verizon services doesn't block iMessages so that's what they are probably getting.

Bethanie8
Enthusiast - Level 2

As stated in my original post, I want to be able to contact her and I want my husband to be able to contact her.

0 Likes
Bethanie8
Enthusiast - Level 2

That makes sense. I will attempt to disable imessage on the phone itself. Thanks for your help!

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

You cant. If you that concerned she needs a diff phone. Also tons of messaging apps that don't use cellular network. If she needs that much monitoring a basic phone will do.

0 Likes
Bethanie8
Enthusiast - Level 2

I appreciate your opinion. I actually can -- by disabling iMessage, restricting app downloads (to prevent third party messaging app downloads), and restricting changes to the general settings. Mission accomplished! Thanks for everyone's help.