Can I block an android phone from downloading apps?
cindie810

Can I block my daughter android phone from the internet totally so she can not download any messaging apps and just use the normal messaging.  She keeps downloading kick, etc...

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I block my daughter android phone from the internet totally so she can not download any messaging apps and just use the normal messaging. She keeps downloading kick, etc...
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

On your daughters phone do this:

1. Open "Play Store"

2. Click the top left hand corner (3 stacked vertical lines)

3. Click Settings

4. Select "parental controls"

5. Select "low maturity"

6. Enter a pin only you can use

If she is purchasing apps then you can select below parental controls "require authentication for purchases"

I don't know what the app kick is, or what all you're trying to prevent, but that's a start.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Can I block my daughter android phone from the internet totally so she can not download any messaging apps and just use the normal messaging.  She keeps downloading kick, etc...
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Smartphones require a data plan and, therefore, I don't believe can be totally blocked from the internet.  You can, however, look into a parental control app that would allow you to monitor which apps are installed and/or control which apps are allowed on the device.  I don't have any specific suggestions, but I'm sure if you google it you can find some that would work for what you are trying to accomplish.

Re: Can I block my daughter android phone from the internet totally so she can not download any messaging apps and just use the normal messaging. She keeps downloading kick, etc...
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

On your daughters phone do this:

1. Open "Play Store"

2. Click the top left hand corner (3 stacked vertical lines)

3. Click Settings

4. Select "parental controls"

5. Select "low maturity"

6. Enter a pin only you can use

If she is purchasing apps then you can select below parental controls "require authentication for purchases"

I don't know what the app kick is, or what all you're trying to prevent, but that's a start.

0 Likes
Re: Can I block my daughter android phone from the internet totally so she can not download any messaging apps and just use the normal messaging.  She keeps downloading kick, etc...
Snn5
Legend

KiK is a medium maturity rating.  Try this link for descriptions of maturity levels and what they cover.  A lot that a kid can download and get in trouble with is rated Low Maturity.

Restrict app downloads - Google Play Help

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Prevent accidental or unwanted purchases - Google Play Help

This shows how to enable a password for purchases, but won't do anything for free apps.

Abdullah_Bennett

u can get a basic phone instead of a smartphone for your daughter. that will solve alot of issues, kids don't need smartphones anyways, they should be paying attention in school not playing angry birds

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

There are many reasons a parent might want their child to have a smartphone.  That's at the parents' discretion though.  Perhaps the child needs the schedule app, or needs to be able to face time or video chat with a parent, or a parent needs more options for tracking a child for the child's safety.  Many reasons.

MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

I live out of state and have a niece and 3 nephews. It's nice to be able to skype and stay in touch without first having to get in touch with my sister. 

0 Likes