What is the generic notification icon for?
Snn5
Legend

This is on my LG G2 5.0.2, but could relate to many Android devices.  It seems to have always been here, and it hasn't been in the forefront of my mind till now.  I have checked Accessibility and Security options and have searched the phone trying to figure out what this icon is for.  It looks like the generic icon used when an app is uninstalled.  Unknown Sources is unchecked as is Developer Options (turned off.)  Just odd that there is no app with that icon and even the word is in lower case.2015-05-17-13-31-48.png

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Strange Generic Notification Icon
Snn5
Legend

I FINALLY figured it out!!!  It IS the Google Chrome desktop browser notification sync to the phone.  When I get a message on my phone, while Chrome is running on the PC, if the box is checked on the phone in Notification Access, then the pop up shows on my monitor.  If unchecked, no pop up.  I use Mighty Text to reply and Chrome notification to dismiss the notification on the phone.  IDK why this wasn't just enabled by default.  You'd think choosing the option would be a part of some set-up process or that Chrome PC would at least inform you that "To receive notifications via PC Chrome Notification Access must be allowed."

View solution in original post

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Have you uninstalled anything recently?  That could be all it is, maybe try restarting the phone and see if it dissappears.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

I've tried safe mode and it remains visible.  I can't think of a recent app that I uninstalled that would leave this artifact.  This might take some trial and error.  Might even take an FDR, but no problem.  I'm not sure it's a security issue or not, but I can FDR and be back to normal within the hour.  Probably best to do that anyway.  If it isn't gone by then, I assume it's a system function, though why it wasn't enabled already by default, IDK.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Yeah, certainly won't be a security issue if it stays unchecked

Snn5
Legend

I FINALLY figured it out!!!  It IS the Google Chrome desktop browser notification sync to the phone.  When I get a message on my phone, while Chrome is running on the PC, if the box is checked on the phone in Notification Access, then the pop up shows on my monitor.  If unchecked, no pop up.  I use Mighty Text to reply and Chrome notification to dismiss the notification on the phone.  IDK why this wasn't just enabled by default.  You'd think choosing the option would be a part of some set-up process or that Chrome PC would at least inform you that "To receive notifications via PC Chrome Notification Access must be allowed."

0 Likes