How do I avoid getting invalid links in text messages?
Xprimentyl
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello, I’m experiencing an issue with incoming text messages from at least one person. My friend is a new Android user (on the S6 from an iPhone) and is still getting used to the keyboard. In almost every text she sends me, she inadvertently double-taps the spacebar which automatically drops in a period (“.”), then she’ll backspace once and keep typing, so I get strings of text like this: “I was at the.store and locked my keys.in my car.” The issue is, and I’m not sure if it’s her phone or mine, but those instances where two words are only separated by a “.” get interpreted as links to websites or domain names, so under the text in the body of her message, I’ll see a large preview window either saying ’keys.in’ is a website for sale, or in the odd chance that her mistake links to an actual website, the preview window will offer a preview of said website, similar to YouTube previews. How do I stop this from happening or is this a setting on her phone which needs addressed?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Getting invalid links/prompts in text messages
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you using Verizon Messages?  Or another texting app?  Messages has a setting to "Enable weblink preview" for included hyperlinks in texts....you can turn that off.  There may be similar settings in other apps.

For Messages:  Go to the three horizontal bars, top left of your messages list, tap and scroll down to Advanced Settings. Then scroll to the bottom of that screen to Advanced Settings, Advanced.  The top option is Enable Weblink Preview, which you can uncheck, then back out of the settings menus. 

HTH

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Xprimentyl,

I can see how that would be cumbersome to get constantly in texts! The interpreted links seem to be originating from the sender. Does your friend see on her end that her sent texts include the period? I recommend confirming if this is exclusively an issue with just this contact or if in fact you are getting multiple contacts showing this way.
SandyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
Xprimentyl
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you; I'll confirm with another contact or two today and get back to you.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you using Verizon Messages?  Or another texting app?  Messages has a setting to "Enable weblink preview" for included hyperlinks in texts....you can turn that off.  There may be similar settings in other apps.

For Messages:  Go to the three horizontal bars, top left of your messages list, tap and scroll down to Advanced Settings. Then scroll to the bottom of that screen to Advanced Settings, Advanced.  The top option is Enable Weblink Preview, which you can uncheck, then back out of the settings menus. 

HTH

0 Likes
Xprimentyl
Enthusiast - Level 3

That fixed it! Thank you!

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Glad I could help!

0 Likes
Autom8

I have Verizon messages, but there is no advanced setting to turn off the weblinks 

0 Likes
MrErikD15

Same here...no "advanced settings"...

0 Likes
KH-cathy29811

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes