How to use JetPack as local access point only?
djchawk

Hello.  I have a Verizon MiFi 5510L hotspot, which I obviously use to access the internet, which counts against my data plan.  But I also use this device to connect my laptop, which has music on it, with my wireless LG Blu-Ray disc player, to play the music on my laptop through my stereo system.  All these devices (JetPack, laptop, Blu-Ray disc player, stereo tuner), are in the same house.  Therefore, there is no need to send this connection across the internet and use my data plan.  Problem is, from what I can tell, this arrangement DOES consume data from my plan.  My question is:  Is it possible to configure the JetPack to act purely as a connection point for local devices without sending data through the internet?  I.e., it should be invisible or transparent to my Verizon plan that I am connecting these devices.  Thanks for any help!!

0 Likes
Re: How to use JetPack as local access point only?
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> Problem is, from what I can tell, this arrangement DOES consume data from my plan.

Purely local network activity that does not go across the VZW network is not held against you on your bill.  If your activity is actually going out across the internet for any reason then that is an application problem that you will need to resolve by contacting that vendor for support.

> Is it possible to configure the JetPack to act purely as a connection point for local devices without sending data through the internet?

I thought there was a way for this model but I cannot find the steps to do so.  I know that we can disable the internet connection on other Jetpacks like the 4510L.  If I stumble upon them I will post back to confirm.

5510L User Guide:

http://www.nvtl.com/files/4513/6218/1792/UG_MiFi_5510L_VZW__30Jan2013.pdf

I think as a simple AP all you would have to do is remove the SIM card.  SIMs shouldn't be necessary to support the local wireless network connectivity.  That's how I normally advise people use Jetpacks after their contract has expired or terminated.

0 Likes