Cell Standby
jdtruong
Enthusiast - Level 2

Anyone else seeing extremely high Cell Standby usage on your phone under the Battery Stats?  My is running between 35-45 percent of battery usage.

Re: Cell Standby
island_boy_0069

I have not seen that in my Battery Stats.  I do have Power Saving Mode (not Ultra Power Saving Mode) enabled on my Galaxy S6 so I don't know if that makes a difference.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

If you aren't seeing a large battery drain or haven't noticed a service interruption, you may find that this is another android system battery stat bug.  I have witnessed this on many phones and it has a lot to do with how the system reads the signals in comparison to the radios and bands/freq it looks for.  I have one phone that runs 99% lost signal and is always on top of my stats.  However, I never lose service and always get 30-40 hours of battery time depending on what i'm using the phone for.  One phone doesn't have GSM radios in it and that contributes to the way the stats read as well.

0 Likes
jdtruong
Enthusiast - Level 2

I do believe that this is affecting my battery life.  There are a lot of others reporting the issue in other Android forums.  I have tried a Factory Data Reset and still see the problem.  I am getting about 14-15 hours of battery life with maybe 2hrs of Screen On Time. 

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

With a 2550-2600 mah battery, that is probably correct. 

0 Likes
jdtruong
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm seeing others reporting 3-5 hours of Screen On Time.  My coworker can leave his phone unplugged overnight and wake up the next day with 40-50% battery left.  His Cell Standby percentage is not above 10%.

0 Likes
ScottE
Enthusiast - Level 1

My Cell Standby battery drain kills my battery in about 12 hours of light use if I'm on WiFi. Does not seem to be a big deal if on 4G. Never had this issue with my S5. If Verizon does not find a fix for this, I may have to go back to the S5 just for the better battery life.

jdtruong
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've turned my wifi off for now to see how it does. I've also read on other Android forums that turning the wifi off fixes the issue.

0 Likes
mcblaber
Enthusiast - Level 3

This cell-standby issue has been plaguing most if not all Android L/5 devices. I'm hoping we'll see a fix with a software update. It's not exclusive to the S6/edge though...

Currently my standby is around 40-50% on a full charge.

0 Likes
EvileyeFox
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes, I have had the Note 4 phone a week now and see high usage of this 'cell stansby'.

it occurs when I am connected to a wifi network, rather than connected to cell network only, which seems counterintuitive.

I've tried all the tricks people have been posting,  such as turnin off or on HD calling (advanced calling ), clearing cache, etc.  None of that stuff helps at all.

The workaround I'm using for now is to just not use WiFi,  which seems to drop cell standby down to normal levels of a couple percent or less.

this of course is unacceptable long term, especially if your data plan is low.

As a sidenote, I am completely amazed and annoyed that Samsung and Verizon aren't issuing a fix for this, as it seems so rampant among it's user base on such popular phones.

0 Likes