Unfortunately Package Access Helper has Stopped
LA888
Enthusiast - Level 2

After Lollipop update on Note 4, "Unfortunately Package Access Helper has Stopped" error occurs when installing from Amazon Appstore or when moving apps like Skype to SD card.  What is the fix for this?

Labels (1)
Re: Unfortunately Package Access Helper has Stopped
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
This is a very strange error LA888! Let's get some more information so that we can explore options to resolve! You indicate that issue occurs when you installing from Amazon Appstore, please clear cache/data from the Amazon Appstore application and test: http://spr.ly/6589fKGB

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
LA888
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you AntonioC but unfortunately clearing the cache and data doesn't solve the problem.  Searching XDA developers, I see that others are having this problem (i.e., with some Amazon Appstore apps and moving some apps to the SD card - for example, specifically Skype doesn't move).  Users there have suggested that Samsung has pushed out a broken image for the Lollipop update:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/note-4-verizon/help/lollipop-package-access-helper-stopped-t3073783

It would be great if VZWand Samsung can fix this.  Thanks

0 Likes
Kwizatch

Having the same issue, I've seen it with Amazon apps and Humble Bundle apps. Note4 SM-N910V and 5.0.1. Have factory reset, cleared those app's caches and tried with and without sd card mounted per some discussion on the dev forums with no change.

0 Likes
RandyButternubs

Me too, I tried exactly the same stuff and no luck. I initially noticed it when trying to update an Amazon app, but then I lost the ability to update or install anything from anywhere. I factory reset in desperation after that, and I can install/update most things again now but that original app still throws the Package Access Helper error.

0 Likes
shawnlh3386

I'm having the same issue with package access helper, noticed in same uses...Amazon app and moving items to SD card.

0 Likes
sandler777
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the same issue. Is anyone working on a fix?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
We certainly appreciate your concern, Sandler777. Has the Amazon App Store itself been updated since the issue began to occur?
YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
LA888
Enthusiast - Level 2

The short answer, YosefT, is "no."

The longer answer is, "why is someone from Verizon Customer Support asking customers to update VZW about the latest status of the fix?"  VZW bundles the Amazon App and doesn't let its customers remove it, so I would think VZW should be responsible, along with Samsung and Amazon, for making sure that it works!  Either let us have a clean version of Android, without all of this additional bloatware, or if VZW insists on providing it, make sure that it works, please.

As I noted in my original post, it's not just an issue with the Amazon App.  The same error occurs when trying to move SOME (but not all) apps, for example Skype, to the SD card.  Since Skype occupies some 100MB, it would be nice to be able to move it to the SD card.

I hope that VZW can devote some resources toward actually solving the problem.  Thank you.

LA888
Enthusiast - Level 2

I found a partial solution at XDA Developers:  http://forum.xda-developers.com/note-4-verizon/help/lollipop-package-access-helper-stopped-t3073783/...

To fix the problem when downloading apps from the Amazon App store, first unmount the SD card, then download and install the app.  After the app has installed you car mount the SD card again.

This doesn't solve the problem of not being able to move some apps over to the SD card, but at least it enables you to install apps from Amazon.

Now, what would be really nice is to get constructive help from Verizon instead of leaving it to customers to solve the problems of their own making!