Has anyone found a legitimate use for this product?
Martyvz
Enthusiast - Level 2

Seriously, what does this thing do? My wife bought this for me (for my birthday). I've been playing around with it for the last few days, but I can't find any function worth using. The battery dies way too quickly, and it takes 8+ hours to recharge. The internet is horrendously slow. A majority of the apps seem to be nothing more than website shortcuts (websites I don't regularly visit, by the way). The text function won't work unless this thing is tethered to my phone, meaning...when I receive a text, I have to delete it on two different devices!

I really want to like this thing because my wife gave it to me, but I just can't see what this is good for.

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Has anyone found a legitimate use for this product?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Here are a few of the things I do with my Ellipsis 8 tablet (Christmas gift):

Kindle reader to read books borrowed from my local library via Overdrive app

Kids Mode and several kid games for my Grandkids (ages 4 & 3) who LOVE to play on Grandma's tablet

Browser (Chrome) to view websites while out and about and I don't have my laptop (easier to see on the tablet than on my phone)

Evernote app to take notes during meetings

Polaris Office to view spreadsheets and other docs while out and about without my laptop

Calendar (synced to my Google calendar)

Solitaire and other games when I get bored....

It's become my "portable" laptop so I don't have to pack up my computer when making client calls/attending meetings.  It's a way to pass time while waiting for appointments (reading, games).  And my grandkids love it to play their educational games within Kid Mode, and my work is safe.

LJTab.jpg

Martyvz
Enthusiast - Level 2

So, let me see if I got this.

It's a kindle for library books, a giant yellow sticky note, plays PC based card games from the 1980s, and it makes a great kids toy.

Thanks for the info. I'll be taking this back to the verizon store on Saturday.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

What exactly are you wanting a tablet to do? Maybe your expectations are way higher than reasonable? I don't own this particular tablet (I have an iPad mini) but I imagine it is a lot more than a toy for kids and something that only plays relic games. Try looking in the App Store to see what it offers. Go to the manufacturer website to see what it can do. Just do some research to help you get some info. You only heard how one person uses theirs. You may still find that it doesn't fit your needs but first actually try to find out before writing it off. Especially since it was a gift from your wife. Just something to consider

0 Likes
Martyvz
Enthusiast - Level 2

What I expected this thing to do:

As a tablet you'd expect it to at least browse the internet, but it's so slow, it just becomes frustrating. I've had an iPhone 4 that better battery life than this, and it takes many many hours to recharge. Verizon has managed to take texting back about 10 years. My iMac wont recognize it at all. Even with all the proper software drivers, codecs, etc.

Honestly, this device seems to be an entry level tablet for someone who has never used a tablet before. You being an iPad user, you probably haven't experienced any of the issues that this thing has. Luckily, I haven't experienced any of the screen jumping and ghost apps opening on their own, and don't expect to keep it long enough to let this happen to me.

I regularly use my wife's iPad. Perhaps I was just expecting this to function like a real tablet. My mistake.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The browsing speed could be a result of the signal it connected to whether it is LTE or wifi you don't specify.

How many hours of usage are you getting? Look at the battery stats. How much was the screen on time?

To transfer files between a Mac product and Android you need https://www.android.com/intl/en_us/filetransfer/

How are you charging the device? With the supplied cable and transformer block plug or via USB cable only. Tablets will charge more slowly if it only plugged into a USB connection. 

If your household is so Apple centric why was an android device purchased?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

It IS an entry level tablet - it doesn't have a lot of internal space, although there is an SD slot where I store pics, movies and video for the kids, documents, etc. 

The browser speed is decent when connected to my home wifi, and varies when using the cellular connection, which is to be expected.  It's not blazingly fast, but I don't find it to be frustratingly slow either.  It's adequate.

I can get at least a couple of days on a battery charge, better than my phone which I charge every day.  And I charge it while I'm sleeping, it's done when I get up to start the day; I'm not sure how long it actually takes to charge.

It replaced my wifi only Samsung Tablet 2.0 7" ... the Ellipsis 8 has more memory, the screen resolution is better, and it is more responsive - the Samsung seems quite slow by comparison.  I'm happy with it, but we all have different expectations and needs. It obviously does not meet yours.

0 Likes
Martyvz
Enthusiast - Level 2

1. Browsing speed. LTE and numerous wifis. Below average speed or slower. On my home wifi, I have a 6 year old Dell that loads pages faster.

2. Last charge, I got a little over 11 hours of use before a low battery indication. For a device that boasts a 5k milliamp hour battery, that's actually quite pathetic.

3. I downloaded the android file transfer program (and several add-ons recommended by third party users). I can't even get that far in the process, like I stated earlier, my mac won't even recognize the device.

4. Using the verizon supplied power adapter.

5. I don't live in the apple tree. In my house, I have the iMac, a macbook air, iPad, 1 Dell laptop, 1 HP laptop & 1 HP desktop, iPhone 5 & iPhone 6.

Didn't actually buy the ellipsis, we were conned by the verizon sales kid into believing the hyped-up sales pitch.

elo1284
Enthusiast - Level 1

"Didn't actually buy the ellipsis, we were conned by the verizon sales kid into believing the hyped-up sales pitch."

Same here..... If you can return it for something better..... DO IT!!!!!!    I've been trying to get mine "fixed/repaired" since January.  Got mine in November.  Replaced at the store after 1 week, the second one had issues recognizing Sim cards.  So they gave me a third one.  This one has been sent out  3 times to the warranty shop.  They replaced wrong part that didn't fix the issue.  I even installed video of the issue that I recorded on my phone and transferred to the tablet.  Last time sent and returned back to me, no documentation stating what was performed on the "repair".  I'm just using this to look this up online, since I'm lazy to mess with my laptops or computers.

DieselPlower

Mine is pretty fast. Get better internet.

0 Likes