Software update???
lgwdrw
Enthusiast - Level 1

My S5 updated to the Lollipop 5.0 (G900VVRU1BOA8) a couple of weeks ago and it has been terrible as most reviews have stated!  My phone is now telling me there is a software update and I am really afraid to allow it to happen. I don't want to go from bad to worse-is there a reason I should install this update?

0 Likes
Re: Software update???
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1
0 Likes
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

Update to above:  "5.0 , 2nd release" is more workable than the 1st 5.0 release but your best answer if released to Verizon will be 5.1 which has been re-coded by Google and looks to me like a good clean working OS .

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

what do you figure my update was all about?  i hadn't heard anything short of 5.0.1

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

bottom line, you don't have much choice.  when i did the install last night there were 2 choices, "install" or "later".

if you chose later(maybe for battery purposes) you had to select a time in the next 24 hours, then it would install.

i'm not sure if you could keep selecting "later".

0 Likes
emkaytee73
Enthusiast - Level 1

my phone was a mess a few weeks back after the 5.0 update.  I ultimately had to reset my phone and i was  not happy about it.  Granted it is not as bad as it was, but I would not say I am satisfied.

I have been dodging the update looming on my phone all morning, i must say i am a bit gun shy.

0 Likes
caecilia97
Contributor - Level 1

The update was released to correct a bunch of issues which have occurred across models and manufacturers on the devices. Following the update, I might recommend clearing the cache via the recovery ROM in the device to get rid of any errant or corrupted files which remain, as they can cause all sorts of weird problems with your device. Hold down volume up, home and power, releasing the power button when you see the blue "RECOVERY BOOTING" in the upper left corner, and maintaining the volume up and home buttons until you see the android icon with a menu on the top of the device display. Highlight "clear cache partition" with the volume rocker, and use the power button to select the option. The recovery ROM will clear the cache from the device, leaving your personal data fully intact. When it completes, push the power button again to reboot the device, and see if that helps with any of the troubles you're having.

I generally do this myself following any large maintenance release, including full OS/kernel changes being pushed. After this is done, it can take up to 72 hours for the OS and all of your applications to optimize, but it corrects a large array of issues that can occur due to corruption of the device cache following updates.

Good luck, and let us know what happens!

0 Likes
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

bearone21, you got a re-coded corrected version of the original 5.0 release. There was a memory leak issue causing  high battery drain and  incorrect code programing in the first 5.0 update. The 5.1 version should solve most all the problems if Google and Verizon can ever get together on a release.

lgwdrw
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you very much for the answer. I have tried holding down the power,  volume up & home  buttons but the 

RECOVERY BOOTING message does  appear. Is there another way to accomplish the cache clearing?

Thanks again!

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Tablet

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

thank you

0 Likes