ETF for contract I never agreed to
kathleeng

I had been out of contract for nearly a year and realized I could be paying much less if I switched to prepaid.

I went to a VW store and asked to switch to prepaid. A salesperson and manager tried for 40 minutes to make the switch and couldn't figure out how to do so. The manager asked why I wanted to switch, I said to save $25/month, and she asked if it would be okay if she kept me as postpaid but lowered my bill. I said fine, but I can't start a new contract because I'm moving out of the country in 5 months. Fine, done.

A little over a week later I got a letter from VW with my new contract end date a year later! I called VW, and after about 45 minutes had it worked out so that they would change my contract end date back to what it originally was and switch me to prepaid.

Over a month later, I got a bill for over $200 for an early termination fee! For a contract I never agreed to! That was in effect for less than 2 weeks!

Now I've been on the phone with 5 different VW reps over nearly 2 hours (including supervisor Marcus M. ID 6030) and they're not relenting. They tell me that I verbally agreed to a new contract in the store and am bound by it.

What recourse do I have? Do I have to get a lawyer?

I'll be so grateful for any help you all can offer.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: ETF for contract I never agreed to
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

If they changed your contract for you after you noticed it was extended a year within 14 days of it occurring then you shouldn't have been charged an ETF. Do you have any proof that you requested the switch before 14 days had passed?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Yeah, usually you have to sign for this type of thing in person, on the phone or online not so much, which I find is disconcerting as well.

kathleeng

I tried to switch to prepaid and got the bill lowered in the store on 02/01/15, I got a letter with the new contract end date and called to undo it and switch to prepaid on 02/13/15.  I have evidence of both. But what is my recourse?

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Well if you have proof that you took care of the change in the 13th I'm not sure what the problem is with Verizon honoring it. What is your proof? If it is clear and indisputable I would think they should honor it with no problem.

kathleeng

They insist I agreed to a new contract on 02/01 and cancelled it on 02/13, and that I subsequently owe them an ETF. Are you saying there is a written clause that gives one 14 days to cancel without an ETF? (aside from the fact that I never agreed to a new contract)

Thanks for your guidance.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Yes, 14 day return policy.

mama23dogs
Legend

Correct.   I put a link to Customer agreement below.  It clearly has the 14 days on the agreement.

Verizon Wireless