Has anyone else has problems with their phone not rotating automatically?
sgtcasey

Since the 5.0 upgrade my Samsung Galaxy S5 seems to stop automatically rotating the screen.  For example, when using the camera when you rotate the phone 90 degrees the should rotate.  Mine don't.  If I take a picture in landscape view it comes out needing to be rotated in the gallery since the phone didn't know it was rotated.  I have this same problem in apps both downloaded and stock.

Things I've tried:

1. Factory reset.

2. Wipe cache and data.

3. Uninstall apps trying to find the culprit.

4. Hard resets.

Nothing seems to fix this problem.  What am I missing?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Has anyone else has problems with their phone not rotating automatically?
mama23dogs
Legend

HHave you tried changing the screen rotation to on in the notification panel?

0 Likes
sgtcasey

Yes.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

LOL.   That's the end of my brilliant ideas.  And you tried all the big fixes.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
I appreciate you taking the time to try some of the troubleshooting steps already.
I haven't come  across this particular issue since the Lollipop update.
One thing I would like you to try is screen rotation while the S5 is in Safe Mode http://vz.to/1mFGTH4. Please let me know it works.
TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
sgtcasey

Hi Tamara,

One of the initial things I did to troubleshoot was to factory reset the phone and then just leave it at stock to see what happens.  It would work for a while but then go to not working.  I reboot the phone to get it to work for a bit as well but it always goes back to not working.

However, I hadn't tried safe mode.  I put it into safe mode for a few hours this morning and then tinkered around with the phone.  Sent/Received text messages, played music, visited websites, etc.  It worked for much longer and after a few hours it was still working.  So I went out of safe mode to normal mode and so far it's still working.

I'll continue to keep an eye on it and see if it stops working after a while.  I've already gone through quite a bit of the apps I load onto my phone and hadn't found the culprit yet.  I'll continue with this troubleshooting to see if I can spot the offending app.

Thank you for your reply!

0 Likes
sgtcasey

Sadly, this problem is not going away.  I uninstalled *all* apps I had installed on my phone and still am seeing the issue.  So I put it back into safe mode and after about an hour it stopped rotating automatically.  I did verify that the option to rotate is enabled.

0 Likes
NETSTOOGE
Enthusiast - Level 2

My S5 screen rotation also stopped working after the 6.0.1 firmware upgrade Dec 2016. I fixed it by removing the built in Weather widget.  However, I had to do a "wipe cache partition" afterwards; just removing the widget alone (and rebooting) didn't get the job done. 

*Note: Various other weather apps/widgets I tried caused the same problem.  Finally, the Weather Bug app seems to not cause the issue to reoccur.

How to wipe the cache partition of an S5

• Turn off the device.
  • Press and hold the following three buttons at the same time: Volume Up key, Home key, and Power key.
  • When the phone vibrates, release the Power key but continue to press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key.
  • When the Android System Recovery screen appears, release the Volume Up and Home keys.
  • Press the Volume Down key to highlight ‘wipe cache partition.’
  • Press the Power key to select.
  • When the wipe cache partition is complete, ‘Reboot system now’ is highlighted.
  • Press the Power key to restart the device.
0 Likes