no more mobile e-mail?
dinozoa

Just got a text saying verizon is cancelling mobile e-mail after 3/31.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: no more mobile e-mail?
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader
0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

This is true.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

More info. about the app's retirement can be found here:

Mobile Email App for Media Center Get it Now Phones | Verizon Wireless

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Email Access Alternative #1 -- Browser access:

If you have a Gmail account, you can access your email through the Google site. Just open your phone's browser and enter m.gmail.com.

If your email provider is Yahoo! , Verizon.net, Microsoft or AOL , you will be able to access your email through the Verizon Web Portal:

1. From your phone's Main screen, find the web browser using the center navigation key and press OK.

Note: You'll know that you're connected to Mobile Web when the VZWToday page appears on your phone's display.

2. Select the Email button.
  3. Select your preferred email provider from one of the available options.

If your email provider isn't supported, we recommend upgrading to a new phone. There's a variety of new phones available that have the latest technology and apps.

Email Access Alternative #2 -- for Motorola WX445 or LG Optimus L70:

• Gmail Option: If you have a Gmail account, you can use the Gmail app already loaded on your device. Go to Apps and select Gmail to set it up.

• Browser Option: You can also access your email through your phone's browser. Many providers, like AOL, Google, Microsoft (Outlook /Hotmail) and Yahoo! have email websites optimized for mobile devices. Just open your phone's browser and enter the URL of your email provider.

• Other Apps: Google Play has apps that can be used in place of the Mobile Email app. Open the Play Store app on your phone and enter the search term "mail" to see the available options.
0 Likes
dinozoa

So, gmail cannot be accessed using the Verizon Mobile Web app.

Input - Go to URL: www.m.gmail.com

Response - Security Error: Untrusted Server Certificate.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

After reading up on various threads regarding this issue I see where most users experience this error for a while, then Google releases a fix on their end to their servers and the problem is solved for a short time.  Some have stated going to www.gmail.com and m.google.com (alternating between the 2) seems to work hit and miss.  I'd like to say it's just some compatibility issues, but it may very well be that support for basic web browsers is diminishing.  I also read where you can just accept the error and proceed forward.  Which model phone are you using?

dinozoa

I'm using Verizon Mobile Web on an LG flip phone. It's about 4 years old. I think you're wrong when you say "Google releases a fix on their end", because I used to be able to access gmail with the phone browser and then a couple of years ago google purposefully changed their security systems to not allow phones like mine to access gmail. Alternating between gmail and m.google.com also doesn't work. In other words, after mobile e-mail is cancelled, I will be losing about a quarter of the utility of the phone, ie I will go from calls + texts + browser + e-mail to calls + texts + browser. I don't use any other features or apps.

0 Likes
Aethelred

I just switched to the More Everything plan, assuming I would get email on my Samsung Intensity III along with other things. No dice. The email feature doesn't work (as I now know) and the Opera Mini browser on the phone won't connect to Gmail. They tell me to download a new one.

Yanking the rug out from customers with a year to run on their 2 year contract before they can get a discounted upgrade is no way to do business. The technician I talked to at length on the help number simply recited the public list of options. Count me outraged.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

Duly noted.

0 Likes