Why do I get the error message "unable to load page (HTTP 502) when I try to open Mobile Web?
theflyingturtle

I have an LG Octane 3 basic phone.   Does everything I need, phone and text, and I never was interested in web or e-mail capabilities until I recently upgraded our plan to the "More Everything" and was able to use data and check e-mail and access the internet.   Whenever I try to open Mobile Web, I get the error message "unable to load page (HTTP 502)".    As of March 31, 2015, all of us basic phone users lose the "Mobile Email" app on our phones, and will have to access web versions of our e-mail via the web.  Which is currently unavailable and doesn't work.

Over a week ago, did a chat session with a tech support rep, and she indicated that either she or an engineer would contact me with how to fix the problem.   Have not heard anything from anybody, and the deadline is approaching quickly.   Have no need of all the excess features of a smart phone, nor do I wish to be forced to jettison a perfectly working phone for my needs and buy something I don't want to be able to do 2 simple things.............check e-mail to see if there's something that needs to be answered right away, and to check traffic reports when I'm on the road, or find something in an area with which I'm not familiar.     Not really too much to ask, you would think....   )

Has anyone else had this same problem, and if so, how do we fix it....???  My next move is a phone call, but those haven't always been very productive.

If any of you have any ideas why this error keeps coming up and the web can't load, and some on how to fix it, I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks in advance.

Karen

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why do I get the error message "unable to load page (HTTP 502) when I try to open Mobile Web?
Snn5
Legend

no more mobile e-mail?

A lot of info about this on the above link.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Why do I get the error message "unable to load page (HTTP 502) when I try to open Mobile Web?
Snn5
Legend

no more mobile e-mail?

A lot of info about this on the above link.

0 Likes
CharlieJ_W

Having the same problems and there is no reply from Verizon. Looks as if we are being forced to buy a more expensive phone and more expensive monthly charges when we have perfectly good phones that we like. OK Verizon, what is the answer?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

The link above and the links within are all I know.

0 Likes
theflyingturtle

Since the chat session got no reply, I contacted Verizon by phone and a very nice level 2 tech created a trouble ticket and sent it up the food chain.  Got a call back, maybe 2 days later, and had a nice, although very long session with a higher level tech.  They had determined that the browser for the LG Octane is an old one and no longer supported by Verizon.    We tried everything we could to download the Opera browser, but since I was totally unable to get Mobile Web to work, couldn't do it.   The only other possible "fix" was to totally reset the phone to factory specs and try it again.   That would mean a lot of work on my part to move anything I didn't want to disappear off the phone, and find a place to forward texts that had to be saved.   Caught our tenants lying about why the rent was late (again), and need that for when I put them back on a lease....  

Long story short is that unless we try this total reset, which isn't a sure fix, either, anyone who isn't able to access the Mobile Web with the LG Octane will have to change their plan to avoid paying for data that you can't access using any method. 

I ran a test with an app that I knew was no longer valid.....that was sending photos to PixPlace.   Got the exact same error message as when trying to access Mobile Web to get the web version of my e-mail.   That just verified that the 502 error is, at least in the LG Octane, for an app that no longer works.   After today, we'll get the same thing when we try to access Mobile E-Mail.

Have to admit, it's a real piss-off, but this shouldn't surprise me, since Verizon won't repair older copper phone lines if you are in an area where FIOS is offered. 

I am going to immediately change my husband's and my cell phone plan to one without data, and see what I can find that will still give unlimited calls and text.  The way my luck runs, they won't offer one for a decent price.  The other half has some very long-winded friends and he was always running over minutes, and some months are very text-heavy and I'd go over my limit.   Absolutely HATE touch screens, and am not looking forward to having to get a new phone.  

0 Likes
theflyingturtle

Since the chat session got no reply, I contacted Verizon by phone and a very nice level 2 tech created a trouble ticket and sent it up the food chain.  Got a call back, maybe 2 days later, and had a nice, although very long session with a higher level tech.  They had determined that the browser for the LG Octane is an old one and no longer supported by Verizon.    We tried everything we could to download the Opera browser, but since I was totally unable to get Mobile Web to work, couldn't do it.   The only other possible "fix" was to totally reset the phone to factory specs and try it again.   That would mean a lot of work on my part to move anything I didn't want to disappear off the phone, and find a place to forward texts that had to be saved.   Caught our tenants lying about why the rent was late (again), and need that for when I put them back on a lease....  

Long story short is that unless we try this total reset, which isn't a sure fix, either, anyone who isn't able to access the Mobile Web with the LG Octane will have to change their plan to avoid paying for data that you can't access using any method. 

I ran a test with an app that I knew was no longer valid.....that was sending photos to PixPlace.   Got the exact same error message as when trying to access Mobile Web to get the web version of my e-mail.   That just verified that the 502 error is, at least in the LG Octane, for an app that no longer works.   After today, we'll get the same thing when we try to access Mobile E-Mail.

Have to admit, it's a real piss-off, but this shouldn't surprise me, since Verizon won't repair older copper phone lines if you are in an area where FIOS is offered. 

I am going to immediately change my husband's and my cell phone plan to one without data, and see what I can find that will still give unlimited calls and text.  The way my luck runs, they won't offer one for a decent price.  The other half has some very long-winded friends and he was always running over minutes, and some months are very text-heavy and I'd go over my limit.   Absolutely HATE touch screens, and am not looking forward to having to get a new phone. 

0 Likes
CharlieJ_W

I went to the Verizon store and they got the same message as all of us, so I

caved and bought a new phone. Hated to do this but I also had no more energy

to continue. Do like the new phone although I have had it for only 3 days.

On the positive side, other than having to buy a new phone (IPhone 6), my

monthly payments are staying the same.

Thanks for all your diligence on behalf of all of us.

0 Likes
KatjaL
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,

you have to download the program called OPERA MINI or Verizon opera mini under media center, and I believe it was browse and download. I had the same problem, but after downloading this application, I can access the web through opera mini.

Katja

Snn5
Legend

You'll both have to get flip-phones, not feature, not smart, but flip-phones to get no data but unlimited talk.

0 Likes