Samsung Galaxy S4 Getting Hot/Overheating
Charge0704

I have noticed that ever since my phone was updated to Android KitKat my phone has been getting hot.   I currently have Android version 4.4.2 and still having issues with my phone getting hot.   Verizon has replaced my phone 11 times however each and every one of them has had issues with getting hot to the point that my phone will shutdown.   I have been experiencing this issue for almost a year now with no resolution.   I wish they would either fix this issue or replace my phone with a different model that doesn't have this issue.

0 Likes
Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 Getting Hot/Overheating
Klue
Master - Level 1

Has you phone overheated right out of the box on each of the 11 replacements, or after you loaded a certain app on your phone?

There is nothing wrong with the KitKat update as I have the S4 with it installed without any problems.

0 Likes
Charge0704

Right out of the box.   Just uploading video and pictures to the cloud.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
I understand your concerns regarding overheating Charge0704! Certain tasks (including constant uploading of media) may cause a phone's temperature to increase to a certain point and this is normal. I recommend visiting a store for a hands on evaluation and they will determine if the temperature is within a normal range.   AntonioC_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport  If my response answered your question please click the ""Correct Answer"" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!
0 Likes
Charge0704

I am so tired of the excuses for these phones.  I had this phone for 10 months before the KitKat update and never had any issues with the phone going into cool down mode and shutting down because the phone got to hot.  My S4 never even got hot before the KitKat update.  The KitKat update junked this phone.  I have been complaining about it since the update came out April 2014 and nothing has been done to fix it.  Not being able to take video or waiting for your phone to cool down so that you can turn it back on is not normal, it is called a issue.  Just like if you were stuck on the side of the road because your car overheated it would be because your car has a issue.  PLEASE stop making excuses for this phone because it needs to be reliable and work.  I say this because it used to before the KitKat update much like the Note 4 and other phones work just fine doing these tasks without getting hot I know because I have tried to get the Note 4 to get hot both uploading and downloading files/streaming video, playing games etc.  the phone barely even got any warmer at all.  So please either fix the issue with the S4 or get me a phone that does not have this heat issue.  Oh yeah and sending me 11 S4 phones that have the same issue and calling it normal is not fixing the issue.

Personal information removed as required by the

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
Charge0704

I am so tired of the excuses for these phones.  I had this phone for 10 months before the KitKat update and never had any issues with the phone going into cool down mode and shutting down because the phone got to hot.  My S4 never even got hot before the KitKat update.  The KitKat update junked this phone.  I have been complaining about it since the update came out April 2014 and nothing has been done to fix it.  Not being able to take video or waiting for your phone to cool down so that you can turn it back on is not normal, it is called a issue.  Just like if you were stuck on the side of the road because your car overheated it would be because your car has a issue.  PLEASE stop making excuses for this phone because it needs to be reliable and work.  I say this because it used to before the KitKat update much like the Note 4 and other phones work just fine doing these tasks without getting hot I know because I have tried to get the Note 4 to get hot both uploading and downloading files/streaming video, playing games etc.  the phone barely even got any warmer at all.  So please either fix the issue with the S4 or get me a phone that does not have this heat issue.  Oh yeah and sending me 11 S4 phones that have the same issue and calling it normal is not fixing the issue.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
I truly understand your frustration with having issues for almost a year Charge0704. This is not the experience we want you to have after a software update. We do our best to make sure the software updates will work properly with your device. Our #1 goal it so make sure you always have a working phone and I'm sorry your issues have not been resolved. We can definitely check your upgrade and replacement options if you contact us privately so that we can gather some information.  Kinquana_VZW Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport
0 Likes
Charge0704

Let me get this straight a combination of Verizon, Samsung and Google/Android force update my phone making it a worthless and I am suppose to fix it by buying a new phone.  Ever since I started having this problem if I were to have gotten $5 for every time a Verizon representative has suggested me paying for a upgrade I would have enough money to upgrade.  How come it is that these big companies Verizon, Samsung and Google can jack up a phone and the consumer has to either live with it or pay for a different phone.  This is really ticking me off.  I should be able to use my phone without it limiting the phones capabilities (Cool Down Mode) and phone shutting down too hot.  It is a lot easier to just ignore these cases then to do what is right and either fix it or replace the phone with a different model phone under warranty.  A warranty by the way that I am paying extra for every month that does not do me any good because it only gets me a replacement S4 with the same issues.  Please fix this issue ASAP.

0 Likes
valleygirl1010

I've had exactly the same problem.  My phone is only 10 weeks old and the person it was bought for has only had it for about 8 of those weeks.  Up until about 10 days ago that person used this phone exclusively on his Verizon WIFI system, bypassing the activation.  Finally we decided to actually activate the phone.  That's when all the problems began.  Before activating my friend who uses the phone could stream multiple movies, have long video calls with myself, and do anything he wanted with the phone and it NEVER got hot.  Immediately after activating he had video called me and the phone began getting hot at 7 minutes into the call and at approximately 11 minutes it cut us off, shutting down the app.  I contacted Verizon.  We have done eveything Verizon has asked of us, taking out battery and SIMS and reinserting, doing a complete factory reset, EVERYTHING, and it still gets hot.  They offered to replace, but we had already come to the conclusion, before knowing what is out here on the internet about this problem (BTW, Verizon flat out lied and told me they had never heard or seen of any problems with this phone giving problems getting hot!!) that we did not want another S4.  We were willing to pay the difference between the full retail that we had paid just 10 weeks prior and a new S6 Edge and up to $125.00 for depreciation of the S4; in other words we are eating $125.00.  We thought this more than adequate.  We have been a very good customer of Verizon's since 2007 and have multiple lines on the account; never late.  Not only has Verizon lied to me; they suggest that the phone we have, this 10 week old phone that we paid full retail price for, is now only worth $95.00.  I guess I see their point.  Before finding this treasure trove of information on the web in reference to this problem which only occurs with the Samsung S4 on the Verizon network and only on the 4.4.2 KitKat OS, I was baffled as to why they seemed so reluctant to work with us; only offering to send us one of their "Certified PreOwned" replacement S4's.  They say that's all they have in stock now and that the phone isn't even manufactured any more.  That was lie #2; as I contacted Samsung and they say they do still manufacture the S4; just maybe not for Verizon any more or at least until they can come up with a system update available for that particular phone; but to be sure, they do still make them.  Anyway, we didn't want a pre owned phone, we paid for a new one and we deserve at least one that is no more than 2 months old.  Anyway, as I was saying I couldn't understand their reluctance to work with us.  I thought we were being more than fair in our offer for a different device.  I assumed, as they were leading me to, that there was a problem with the phone, and that being the case, they would just return it to Samsung and they would get most of what they actually had in the phone back from the manufacturer and we were willing to give them a goodly amount for any depreciation.  I figured Verizon would come out on top easily.  Having worked in accounting most of my life I understand their need to do this.  But, I see now; there is no problem with the phone, so Samsung isn't going to reimburse them for a faulty phone.  The problem is in all the secretive junk Verizon loads up in their SIMS that accompanies each system upgrade that for some reason that they dang sure are aware of does not work well with this particular phone only on the 4.4.2 KitKat OS.  They know it, they don't want to have to admit it.  They knew it when I paid $500.00 for this phone 10 weeks ago and said nothing.  Now they don't want to make it right.  They should have either come out with a fix for this problem, and as I have seen on here it has been going on for at least a year, or recalled all of the Samsung S4's that they had sold and offered a very lenient deal to their customers affected to enable them to purchase a different device of their (the customer) choosing, prorating the original cost of the phone (and of course any wear & tear) in a very reasonable manner.  In other words, for someone like myself with a 10 week old phone in excellent condition which costs 10 weeks ago $500.00, they should allow somewhere between $400.00 and $450.00 trade in.  This is their fault.  And they know it and now we know it, Samsung knows it; and how badly Verizon is handling it; and soon the Better Business Bureau is going to know it.  This is bad business Verizon; very very bad.

BTW; as we have already transferred the service back to the Motorola, we tried it again this morning using only the Verizon MyFi WIFI and guess what; just what we expected; it didn't evey try to get hot.  This one is on you Verizon!!!!!

0 Likes