What turns apps on?
GZRX
Contributor - Level 3

I've an S5, fortunately still on 4.4.4.  My contract includes only 1 GB data. To say I'm paranoid about uncontrolled data is an understatement.  12 apps are restricted and 12 more are disabled.  I've added only an additional 4 apps to the phone since purchase in Oct 2014. The MyVerizonMyData app and Active apps app are on the home screen for monitoring purposes and data is turned off unless I have a specific reason to enable it.

Okay, the question:  Occasionally I find the Active apps app  indicating an app is running when I've activated none.  Less frequently it is Chrome and more frequently it is Youtube.  What might be turning these apps on? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: What turns apps on?
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Anything can make an app turn on depending on how it is written.

What you need to do (and maybe this is what you  mean by restricted) is set the apps you do not rely on being real time to only update over Wi-Fi.  Leave mail and contacts alone.  If you are using Verizon Cloud, change your contacts to Google Contacts and get rid of the Verizon Data Bloat you experience with it.  If you use a cloud for backing up pics etc... set it to sync over Wifi Only.

AZSALUKI
Legend

it sounds like you monitor it pretty closely. if you ever get REAL close to your limit, you can disable mobile data in the settings. also, you can set it to warn you at a certain level ( .8gb for example). Finally, in the event you do go over the limit, you can call and increase your plan, retroactive to the begining of that billing cycle. this is cheaper than paying the overage fee,, and you can just change it back to 1gb the following billing cycle. you shouldn't need to worry so much about it.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Another idea is My Data Manager, free in the Play Store.  You can set a daily limit (1GB divided by 31 days) and have the app turn off your Mobile Data if you hit that amount, also you can set 2 other alarms as well.  I have 1GB plan and use this app.  It DOES count HIGHER than Verizon, but mainly because it counts the MMS data where Verizon does not on unlimited texting plans.  I have my daily limit set to 33MB, and another at 500MB and at 750MB.

0 Likes
GZRX
Contributor - Level 3

Jakeman1:  restrict is a reference to restricting background data. My Playstore apps are set to backup over wifi only. I don't use the cloud and contacts and calendar are backed up to Google using wifi.  Pics are backed up to my computer.

Azsaluki:  I keep data turned off unless I need it for some particular reason. I'll probably eat the overage for a billing period rather than manipulating my account to reduce costs.After reading some of the issues reported on this forum I'm thinking it's better to let sleeping dogs lay. 

Snn5:    I have the My Data Manager on my to-do list.  That's a goog idea about a daily limit but my usage is too peaky with some days using none at all.  I think my current limits are around 75% warning and 90% shut off based on the phone's measurement. I haven't hit the warning level yet.

Based on my usage records I think I have a decent handle on data. It does concern me though as to how some apps mysteriously turn themselves on.  Don't want some rogue app running pacman-like through my data.