Software Update Drains Battery
AllSmilesUT
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just received my software update last night for my Samsung Galaxy S5. In the past I can go through my day without having to plug it into the charger until I get home at night. My battery died within hours after I unplugged it this morning. The only thing that has changed on my phone was the software update. And I have no idea how to fix it (if there's even a way to).

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Software Update Drains Battery
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

The new update will drain your battery real fast for the first week or so while it optimizes your phone. Then it will spring back to where it was before the update.

GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

One can only hope...   

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Very true. Now I am also at a bit of a disadvantage on this one as I do not have the Samsung myself, but am going based on what I see on some friends phones, as well as experience with the Motorola phones.  I think they do this on purpose though as each update they promise better battery life and then it is terrible right out of the box and if a week later it is back to 90% most people do not notice that difference, but are so happy it is better then right after the update they live with it.

The other thing I notice on these updates and we all do it, is once it is updated you are playing with your phone more and more looking for new features or trying to find features they remove, or trying to figure something out and that uses tons of battery as well. Usually after about a week or so we settle down on that part too and the battery starts getting better so we may be doing it to ourselves by doing that as the android OS will learn when to shut things off or leave them on etc... and if we are playing with things turning them on, it will learn to keep them on and after we stop the OS realizes it is not needed and rewrites the order list.

0 Likes
Moirs
Enthusiast - Level 2

My battery is draining too. I usually can make it 24hrs without charging and it says I only have 5 hours left (fully charged). This is unacceptable!  One of the main reasons I purchased this over an iphone is the battery, this is so frustrating. I have it on power save, black and white, and just watch the percent left drop. In 45 minutes I went from 99% to 84%. please tell me how to remedy

bpitman
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ditto.  Have a Samsung S5 here... Contacts keep crashing, Battery Life sucks, and I'm not too happy.  Verizon and Samsung need to get on this and fix this issue.  Even on Power Saving mode I am lucky to get 12 hours out of my phone.  WTF!  If you haven't done this update yet DON'T DO IT. Samsung Galaxy S 5 Verizon Wireless Customer Support

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

bpitman,

We don't want you to have issues with your device. Let's figure out what is going on. Could you describe a bit more what you are experiencing? How long ago did you process the software update?

SandyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
AllSmilesUT
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well I know I'm not bpitman, but @SandyS_VZW I personally did the software update on the 3rd and still have issues with the battery draining like crazy. I've had my phone unplugged for about an hour now and I'm already down 20%. And I've done nothing on it. I've checked where it says what's draining the battery and it says that the Android System is using the battery life up like crazy. I've tried "killing" as many things running on my phone as I can, as often as I can, but it doesn't help. I only started having this problem since the previous update.I've also had problems with the Messaging crashing in the middle of texting someone. I'm also constantly getting notifications that my contacts have crashed.

Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Restart your phone in Safe Mode and let it run for a few hours. If the battery life improves in Safe Mode, then it is an outside App causing the drain as Safe Mode only loads the minimum apps and drivers needed to run the phone.. If the drain is still there, do a Cache Clear and retry it.

0 Likes
Moirs
Enthusiast - Level 2

I will try that. 

0 Likes