Does the Note 4 have better signal strength than the Note 3?
dfelker
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a note 3 that continually drops calls and bounces from 4 bars to 1 bar over the course of time with the phone being stationary.  I believe my problems started with the last software update (as documented in numerous forums) but both Verizon and Samsung give no credibility to problems raised on internet forums.  The people on these forums apparently "lack technical expertise" was my take on their explanation. 

So far they, Verizon, is following exactly the same course of action to try to correct my issues as other folks have stated they tried with tech support.  Replacement of the SIM card did nothing.  Software reflash is next followed by a factory reset with no additional apps allowed to download to the phone. 

I have not looked at a Note 4 nor do I know anyone that has one so I am reaching out for information.  What is the Note 4 running for software and if you owned a Note 3 previously did you experience signal strength issues where you felt you shouldn't have?  If you had, or have, weak signal strength were you able to compare it to another android phone on the same carrier to see if the problem was specific to you phone?

I understand the bars are not the best indication of signal strength but they are a quick indication.  Under the mobile networks I usually have -100+ dBm and 30 +asu.  If it is a software caused problem neither Verizon or Samsung knows anything about it which is good news because they should be able to correct it.  I have my doubts the people on the forums are the crackpots they make them out to be.  I suggested they are people like me who are desperate for help with a problem Verizon gave up on. 

If the Note 4 is better I know what to ask for when they hit the end of the road with me.  That will happen software and reset wise in the next week then I am off to "getting someone else's problem phone" sent to me for a swap.  Last time they tried this the junk phone they sent didn't even recognize the sim card! 

Thanks for any facts you can provide about your experience with the Note 3 and Note 4 as related to signal strength in both areas with strong and marginal service.

Labels (1)
Re: Does the Note 4 have better signal strength than the Note 3?
colfrmb2
Contributor - Level 1

I have a 2 year old note 2 which holds a signal also an iphone 5 that holds a signal in the same area.  I tried a note 3 and it dropped about 99% of the calls in the same area.  went back to my note 2.  Have tried note 4's 2 different times, once in October, the other time in Febuary.  Dropped 99% of calls in the same area that the noe 2 and iphone 5 work fine.  So I went to the iphone 6+ and now I drop ZERO calls in the same area.  Even better connectivity than the note 2.  Now, do I like the iphone 6+?  No.  I may go back to the old note 2.  I have posted on VW forums and sent inquiries to Samsung and all I get is "so sorry, what type phone do you have, are you inside or outside, blah, blah, blah"  and never, ever have I gotten a response with info of value in return.  So fend for yourself. 

0 Likes
dfelker
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have an iPhone 6 on Sprint for work and it stinks, I don't like the service or the phone.  Had an iPhone 5s prior and although I didn't care for it it was still better than the 6.

I had a software reflash done at Best Buy and a factory reset at Wireless world.  Reflash went smooth but I should have done the factory reset myself or had Best Buy do it.  It will take me days to get the phone back to where I had it.  Kies software from Samsung does backup the phone but you lose all the changes you have made to the Home screens and some other apps need attention to get them functional. 

Signal strength remains the same but need to use it for a few days to know if it still drops calls and breaks up.  If it does next on the list is running in safe mode for a few days to see if an app is causing it.  If the problem still persists I have the choice of replacing it with insurance, money out of my pocket.  Sending it to Samsung for testing and repair (if necessary), or having Verizon send a replacement refurbished phone.  Probably will go with the refurbished phone and hang on to mine for a few days as well.  If the refurb isn't any better I will return it and then send mine to Samsung. 

According to Wireless World the insurance company will pay me for my phone if I trade it in before a year is up.  May get up to 50% of full retail.  Not sure what to trade it in for if I go that route.

0 Likes
pilotinnaples
Enthusiast - Level 1

Having owned both a Note 3 and Note 4, the Note 4 is by far a much superior and faster phone.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Interesting, I have a Note 3 and an older Samsung GS3. The GS3 has much better call quality.  Neither of them drop calls, but that may be my location, not the phone.

i Have seen this complaint before, when the Note 3 first came out.  I think I would test the phone a lot in the first 14 days, and note every drop, return within the buyers remorse period.

0 Likes
colfrmb2
Contributor - Level 1

I Had to pay the restocking fee and you can only do that once from what I understood.

0 Likes
dfelker
Enthusiast - Level 2

Finally got to the bottom of the problem..............Kit Kat.  Verizon admitted that the Note 3 developed issues with the Kit Kat upgrade.  Verizon said Samsung is offering to trade out affected Note 3 with S5 phones.  No way in hell is that happening with me.  Next set of options all revolve around surrendering my unlimited data plan, that isn't happening either.  Just filled out an online complaint form with the Nebraska Public Service Commission as they get involved in issues like this.  According to a recent article in the Lincoln Journal Star the NPSC has contacts above tech support and have been successful in finding resolutions to problems. 

I specifically asked if Kit Kat was or could be the issue and was told "no" by Verizon and Samsung now to find out both companies know the issue exists and try to sucker people desperate for a working phone into downgrading.  They rejected my offer to pay for a steeply discounted Note 4, pathetic on their part in my opinion.  Verizon doesn't give a darn about customers so I my only hope is the NPSC other wise I will have to wait for lollipop and see if it includes a software fix.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

So if I understand correctly they offered to give you a different newer phone but since you didn't like that offer you filed a complaint?

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

They offered an S5, which was sold at the same time as Note 3 and doesn't have s-pen.   I wouldn't trade either.  Note is where it's at.  I actually use S-pen all the time for entries.

dfelker

i Am running kit kat 4.4.2 still.  Since problems have appeared in 4.4.4 and 5 I'm in no hurry to update.

which version are you running?

Have  you had the phone re-flashed?  Sometimes a reset to factory and reinstall fixes the problems created by updates.

pherson
Champion - Level 1

I have a note 3 as well and to be honest although I love the pen I don't use it that often. It's quite possible that vz or samsung could look at the turning down of the phone that it's just a ploy to get the note 4. And for the record I've not had 1 problem with my note. I had the 2 and now the 3 but no compelling reason for the 4. Can't wait to see what the 5 will be about.

0 Likes