I am connected to wifi but get an offline error message when open internet
cjaykus
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am connected to Wifi but when I try to use Google or go to my bank website, I get an "offline" error

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I am connected to wifi but get an offline error message when open internet
cjaykus
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your responses!  I was able to figure it out.  I think my phone was trying to be connected to 2 WiFis at the same time... my home network and "OptimumWifi".  I selected the option for it to "forget" the OptimumWifi, then went to shut down the phone and saw an option for "reset", so I selected "reset" instead of shut down. After the reset, the internet worked. 

View solution in original post

Snn5
Legend

You can be connected to a wif spot, but not have access through the gate.  Have you entered correct log in info?  Is the router actually connected to the internet?  A phone can show connected to a router even if there is no Internet connection.  The router must have an Internet connection to pass along.  Some public hotspots allow you to connect to their network, but not connect to the Internet until you sign into a web page agreeing to terms.

0 Likes
cjaykus
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am at home, connected to my WiFi, using my laptop on that same Wifi.  Laptop works.  Phone does not.  Stupid Verizon store was not open yet when I went there Smiley Sad

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Some routers have a security feature that does not allow new devices to connect until allowed within the router setup or settings.  I had forgotten about that feature on mine since I set it up long ago and then got a replacement device or a friend came over and couldn't connect.

0 Likes
cjaykus
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your responses!  I was able to figure it out.  I think my phone was trying to be connected to 2 WiFis at the same time... my home network and "OptimumWifi".  I selected the option for it to "forget" the OptimumWifi, then went to shut down the phone and saw an option for "reset", so I selected "reset" instead of shut down. After the reset, the internet worked.