Extremely slow LTE data in Castro, San Francisco
Paul_J_Lucas
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have an iPhone 6 and LTE works fine most everywhere except on or around Castro Street in San Francisco. Most of the time, I can't even run a speed test since the free OOKLA app reports "Network Connectivity Issues." Other times, it's extremely high latency and low bandwidth. It's like this even though it shows 4 or 5 "dots" of LTE service. I also have a Retina Display iPad Mini with LTE service and see the same results, so I know it's not my iPhone.

When I switch off LTE and drop down to 3G on either device, I get decent data speeds (for 3G). I've also tried switching my iPhone LTE from "Voice & Data" to just "Data" with no change. I actually live a few blocks east of Castro where LTE service seems fine.

It's been like this for months. Is there some Verizon tower that serves that part of San Francisco that's either faulty or needs an upgrade?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Extremely slow LTE data in Castro, San Francisco
Paul_J_Lucas
Enthusiast - Level 1

Via a Facebook post to friends who also live in San Francisco, this problem is not unique to me. Others who live around or visit the Castro have this same problem. Some have left Verizon Wireless over it.

supermaurosf
Enthusiast - Level 2

Four years later, this problem remains the same. Nothing changed. It’s frustrating. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It's worrying to see you've been experiencing slow data speeds for the past 4 years, and we are here to help. Please tell us, what other services are being impacted? Is this also happening while being outdoors? Is this affecting multiple devices?

GeovannJ_VZW

0 Likes
supermaurosf
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, it's affecting multiple devices, actually all my friends who have Verizon are unable to use LTE in the Castro area. It gets worse indoors like bars and restaurants in the area. My solution to be able to send a message is to turn off lte temporarily.  As mentioned in other posts it does have to do with band 13. As I move away from Castro and 18th St the phone switches to band 44 or 66 then the problem is gone. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate the insight and want to help find a viable solution. What specifically are you noticing when it comes to calls, texts, and data? Are you getting any specific error messages? Is your device updated with the latest software and carrier update? Looking forward to hearing back.

ChrisM_VZW

0 Likes
pupkinpie2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm experiencing the same issues.  Also to note the same neighborhood and area doesn't have 5g coverage, yet the rest of San Francisco does have 5g coverage. 

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes