I cannot receive MMS over WiFi- anyone else struggling?
CariCahill
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just got my LG G3 phone abt a week ago and found that I cannot receive MMS (texts with photos attached) over WiFi. If I turn WiFi off, photos come through but it's a pain in the behind to do this every time someone sends me a photo. It happens any time my phone is connected to WiFi, not just at my house. (The ONE time it worked while connected to WiFi was at the Verizon store, just after a hard reset, before it downloaded my saved info from the cloud.)

Called Verizon, spoke to their tech support for over 2 hours but they couldn't fix it and recommended I take it back to the store to see if they could either fix it or replace the phone or sim. I took it to the store, they did a hard reset and it worked sending and receiving photos both with WiFi turned on and with it turned off while in the store. Key words there being "while in the store." Brought it home and I still have the same problem.

While I had it in the store, the guy who helped me verified that it does have the "use Wifi and data" option selected.

Did not have this problem with my previous phone- Galaxy S3. Hubby has Galaxy S4, one son has a droid Maxx, and the other son has an iPhone 4s... none of them have the same problem- only me. Same router, for what it's worth.

I've googled this and tried to change various settings on the phone to see if it helps.. nada.  One of the techs suggested that it could be a problem with something I have saved in my cloud and that's why it works at the store but not once I get it home. The theory being that it hasn't yet had time to download the cloud content while at the store. So once I get home and begin reinstalling my info, the phone reverts to the old problem.

I see from the comments that several others are having this same problem. Anyone have a fix for it??

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I cannot receive MMS over WiFi- anyone else struggling?
CariCahill
Enthusiast - Level 2

Replying to my own message here but maybe this will help others too. Apparently this has nothing at all to do with the cloud content and is actually a settings issue.

I just spoke to Verizon's "advanced tech" folks. I personally didn't know such a department existed, but apparently it does. Zach was super helpful and once he clearly understood the problem, had me go into the data settings and turn on data roaming. He said as long as I don't leave the country, I shouldn't incur additional charges. I have no plans to leave the country any time soon.

Then he had me go into the advanced WiFi settings and unclick the setting that auto-disconnects weak WiFi signals. Then he texted me a photo and it worked! He also did some additional troubleshooting to make sure me receiving one photo wasn't a fluke, and it wasn't. As of now, I can still receive photos and Zach is my new favorite person today! Smiley Happy

I hope this also works for anyone else who is having the same issue.

**If you're someone who travels outside of the country a great deal and is experiencing this issue, this is probably NOT the fix for you if you don't have the appropriate data plan. However, I rarely travel outside of the state of Florida, much less another country, so this fix worked for me. I hope it works for you too.

Good Luck!

lgg3 sms and mms not sending or downloading lgmmsfix mms while connected to wifi mms not receiving lg g3

View solution in original post

Re: I cannot receive MMS over WiFi- anyone else struggling?
CariCahill
Enthusiast - Level 2

Replying to my own message here but maybe this will help others too. Apparently this has nothing at all to do with the cloud content and is actually a settings issue.

I just spoke to Verizon's "advanced tech" folks. I personally didn't know such a department existed, but apparently it does. Zach was super helpful and once he clearly understood the problem, had me go into the data settings and turn on data roaming. He said as long as I don't leave the country, I shouldn't incur additional charges. I have no plans to leave the country any time soon.

Then he had me go into the advanced WiFi settings and unclick the setting that auto-disconnects weak WiFi signals. Then he texted me a photo and it worked! He also did some additional troubleshooting to make sure me receiving one photo wasn't a fluke, and it wasn't. As of now, I can still receive photos and Zach is my new favorite person today! Smiley Happy

I hope this also works for anyone else who is having the same issue.

**If you're someone who travels outside of the country a great deal and is experiencing this issue, this is probably NOT the fix for you if you don't have the appropriate data plan. However, I rarely travel outside of the state of Florida, much less another country, so this fix worked for me. I hope it works for you too.

Good Luck!

lgg3 sms and mms not sending or downloading lgmmsfix mms while connected to wifi mms not receiving lg g3