Can I buy a SmartPhone without getting the data plan, and just using the wifi?
jessicacarpenter

I was looking into buying an iPhone or smartphone of some sort, but don't want the data plan. Can I get a smartphone or iPhone without the data plan and just normal service?

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I buy a SmartPhone without getting the data plan, and just using the wifi?
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3
Re: Can I buy a SmartPhone without getting the data plan, and just using the wifi?
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

No. Data plan required

mama23dogs
Legend

A Loop hole would be to purchase a smart phone at full cost and activate as a prepaid phone, with the data turned off in your account.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

I would buy a cheap used Verizon phone on some site like swappa.com or similar. 

0 Likes
valquiria
Contributor - Level 1

As prepaid you'll get data too...

0 Likes
Waimon
Contributor - Level 3

You do have to pick a data plan that is something you do have to do but you can always select the lowest one available. The only other option with Verizon is like what is said above which is get you own phone for Verizon and use the prepaid service.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Even with prepaid, the customer is required to select the monthly plan which includes data.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

AT&T GoPhone plan does not require a data plan, you can activate a smart phone on a basic gophone plan.  However, if you don't turn data off at the carrier level, you will get a per use charge for data.

IT is not how the phone and service is expected to work, yet it can and does.  If it works on AT&TA, it will probably work on Verizon also.

I will repeat, this is not how it is designed to work.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The basic phone plans for prepaid on Verizon Wireless will not allow a smartphone to be activated on them.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.