Policies for deceased accounts?
Heatheryurikim
Enthusiast - Level 1

Was wondering how verizon handles a deceased account. My father passed away not too long ago. He had many lines on his account and I want to terminate those lines but continue to keep mine. Do I have to pay the termination fee? Also I'm a student, would I have to pay a ridiculous security deposit to transfer the account into my name? I want to keep my number that's why I'm going through this hassle .

Labels (1)
Re: Policies for deceased accounts?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

My condolences on your father's passing.  To answer your questions, is there someone else with a line on the account who could assume the responsibility for it?  Who are the other lines for?  I don't know for sure, but my guess is that only your father's line/phone would be eligible to have the ETF waived, and you will probably have to show proof (death certificate).

Other lines can do an Assumption of Liability and take them over individually, as you proposed for you,  It may require a deposit depending on your credit record (or lack of one).  Or the whole account with the remaining lines can transfer as is to one of the other people on the account if they are willing to do that.

lindaconwayquilter
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just got charged a $291.93 for terminating my Dad's line!   I don't understand why Verizon would charge a termination fee for someone who is deceased.  That just seems cruel.

SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do they know he is deceased?  When you cancelled the line, did you show proof of his death?  As far as I  know, cancelling a line due to the death of the owner, and showing proof (the death certificate) is all that's needed to waive the ETF.

0 Likes
youallsuck

you DONT need to provide a death certificate, and if he is the account owner you can have all the lines disconnected without an ETF and do an assumption of liability of your line as long as you are 1)an account manager or 2) have POA or executor of the will, or the person who does/is can authorize it for you.

0 Likes
BLAONI19

Was that line on the Device payment plan? When you disconnect a line, if the full price of the phone wasn't paid off, the remaining balance is pushed to the next bill if the phone is not turned in, and in good condition.

0 Likes