full storage from updates - only 12 apps & 0 pictures..yet its full. HELP!
HABx4
Enthusiast - Level 1

My daughter as an iPhone 5/ 16gb.  She has done all recent operating system updates and her phone storage is now full.  She tried to take a photo the other day but didn't have the space - so she deleted a couple apps to make room.

All photos are deleted from her phone and moved to her dropbox account. She has only 12 remaining downloaded apps only... and she tried to take a snapchat today, and the phone said no way--so sorry, you have no storage.

Can someone help me figure this out? I've heard lots of chatter about operating systems taking up storage --- but 100% of it? 

Thanks for the help. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: full storage from updates - only 12 apps & 0 pictures..yet its full. HELP!
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

You can view which apps are using memory by going to Settings>General>Usage. And recent OS updates are memory hogs, as mentioned.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is the Dropbox syncing to the phone?  If so, and there's a Dropbox folder on the phone, it's taking up space.

Is Itunes, music syncing to the phone?  Music files can be pretty big, and it doesn't take many songs to fill up the phone.

How many text messages are saved on the phone?  If there are pics attached to those messages, they'll still be stored on the phone.

Those are just a couple of areas where you may be able to squeeze out more room.  I'm not real familiar with iPhones, but on Android you can go to Storage and see what is taking up space (apps, photos, music, etc).

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The OS update can take up approximately 5 gb if it was downloaded but not yet installed.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

You can view which apps are using memory by going to Settings>General>Usage. And recent OS updates are memory hogs, as mentioned.

0 Likes
Not applicable

II'm posting a link to a great tutorial on how to remove 'other' from your iPhone, and just generally make room on the phone.

How to Remove "Other" Data from iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch

0 Likes
Ledsteplin
Contributor - Level 3

Check messages. IMessages and SMS. They take a lot of space. Delete them. Also check Facebook. My cousin checked his and it was taking 1 gb of space. Delete the Facebook app, then install it back. That gets rid of the cache. Nothing is lost.

0 Likes