What is a good range extender brand to use with a Jetpack MHS1291LVW?
olimits7

Hi,

I tried using an Amped Wireless and then a Belkin range extender with my Jetpack MHS1291LVW but didn't work out the way I would have liked it to.  The Amped Wireless one couldn't get an IP address from the Jetpack at all.

So then I purchased a Belkin and the only way I could get internet access under this Belkin range extender was if I used a static IP on my desktop wi-fi card.  This worked but then the internet through this Belkin was so bad and kept dropping signals.  But if I would connect my desktop wi-fi from that exact spot directly to the Jetpack the internet would work fine and not drop out on me.

I need a 4-port range extender because I'm trying to setup a D-Link IP camera and DVR and it needs to connect via ethernet to a LAN Wi-Fi network so this is the best way I could think of setting this up as.

Can anyone recommend a good range extender that would work well with the Jetpack?

Thank you!

0 Likes
Re: What is a good range extender brand to use with a Jetpack MHS1291LVW?
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> I need a 4-port range extender because I'm trying to setup a D-Link IP camera and DVR and it needs to connect via ethernet to a LAN Wi-Fi network so this is the best way I could think of setting this up as.

A Jetpack does not seem like it would be the most appropriate device for your plan.  Jetpacks are intended to be used as temporary hotspots for folks on the go.  If you leave a Jetpack on and treat it like a normal home router you will encounter many problems such as overheating, disconnections and other headaches.

Verizon offers better solutions for those looking for a more permanent home internet connection replacement.  For example the 4G LTE router or a USB Modem/Router All in One from CradlePoint.  LTE Internet (installed), formerly called HomeFusion, is also available to specific service areas.  Any of these options would be better suited to provide a more consistent internet connection and would be a better fit for your camera/DVR system.

Re: What is a good range extender brand to use with a Jetpack MHS1291LVW?
nicmart

The two most recent models of Apple's Airport Express, which work with PCs and Macs, can join and extend the Jetpack wirelessly. They also have single ethernet ports which Bob Timmons says can be configured to allow the addition of an ethernet switch:

Check by opening AirPort Utility - Manual Setup

Click the Wireless tab below the row of icons

Make sure that there is a check mark in the box next to "Enable Ethernet Clients"

Update to save changes

You can connect an Ethernet switch to the Ethernet port on the AirPort Express to connect additional Ethernet devices.

Ethernet switched come in 5-Port, 8-Port, 16-Port, etc versions.

The two Airport Express models that accomplish this are A1392 (current model) or A1264. They also have a USB-out port than can be connected to a printer.

0 Likes