why do some of my incoming texts show up in squares instead of letters?
MarkieD10
Enthusiast - Level 1

Two of my friends have text me and I see only a series of rectangles rather than letters. My phone is Verizon LG/ do not have email; only unlimited text/voice/pic messaging on my phone. All other's messages show as letters with emoticons when used, but not all rectangles like these two. Is there a setting I need to change in order to receive these messages?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: why do some of my incoming texts show up in squares instead of letters?
Tidbits
Legend

Are they on smart phones? If they are using emojis then this will happen.

0 Likes
MarkieD10
Enthusiast - Level 1

No,that's not correct. The entire message is in blocks/rectangles. It has nothing to do with emoticons.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MarkieD10,

That is odd. Let's investigate further. What exact model LG device do you have? Are they texting you from smartphones? Are they using the standard text messaging app to send you a message or a 3rd party application?

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
MarkieD10
Enthusiast - Level 1

They both were not using any emoticons. The beginning of each text message was legible, but the second part came through with only these squares.

0 Likes
MarkieD10
Enthusiast - Level 1

Mine is an old LG, I don't have email; it's not a smart phone. Yes, I believe, but have no one of knowing that these two persons have smartphones. One of which I believe utilizes Sprint I think. The other I have no idea who their carrier is...I receive various texts from people. I know they have other carriers, send thru pic messaging at times and or I am asked If I want to accept the message. I can read all other texts from more than 50 people, but these two are the only ones that turn up as blocks. I've received smartphone texts from many people utilizing other carriers like AT&T and Sprint specifically and when they use emoticons they come through as text and when an emoticon is used it shows up where placed.

0 Likes
MarkieD10
Enthusiast - Level 1

...yes, I believe they have smartphones...but, I have no way of knowing that they have smartphones...only can assume

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

It still has something to do with an unsupported format. Some emoticons may still cause this error. It may be their provider and not Verizon. Without exactly knowing the message they are trying to send it's a toss up. Also they could be sending scripts which the SMS/MMS/ISM doesn't know how to translate or knows it's a malicious script and had been blacklisted.

MarkieD10
Enthusiast - Level 1

I believe it would be the fact that they are both not Verizon; sending scripts which the sms...ism...doesn't recognize could be untranslatable,too. I told each that I couldn't read their messages -one resent, but it was sent the same and again unreadable. The second just didn't respond. I've had that problem with the latter person and I think they just stopped sending me any messages because of this issue. Is there any way I can correct this issue from my settings? I would like to know that I can receive these messages as one is my sister's.  I have the LG basic not the LG 3. I don't qualify for a new one until April 2016

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

There isn't any way without knowing which side the disconnect is happening.

0 Likes