Unfortunately, Contacts has stopped after Sept. 12, 2014 Update (Razr M)
GoNavyPensacola
Enthusiast - Level 1

As I have been searching for an "answer or fix" which appears to be none at this time, after the last Update from VZ or Motorola, did not pay that much attention to whom was pushing the update, I am now getting the "Unfortunately, Contacts has stopped" message intermittently when either the Phone or People button are used on my Razr.M only. Specs on the Razr M are System Version 182.46.15.XT907.Verizon.en.US; Android Version 4.4.2; Baseband Version SM_BP_101031.042.32.86PKernel Version 3.4.42-g46d4525-00001-ga9305fd dbbuild@ca88Inxdroid25#1 Tue Jul 29 02:16:18 PDT 2014; Build Number KDA20.62-15; Build Date Tue Jul 29 02:04:27 PDT 2014. System Update Ver. 182.46.15.en.US was Friday, Sept. 12, 2014 10:11 AM. All Cache has been cleared, full power off, and removal of 4 apps installed after this update no help. Major issue when this occurs, you can not make a phone call especially if there was an emergency, very bad scenario and open for major law suit if death occurs due to this malfunction and 911 could not be called. Someone needs to take a look at this, in my opinion, before some real major incident forces this review after the fact.

Labels (2)
Re: Unfortunately, Contacts has stopped after Sept. 12, 2014 Update (Razr M)
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention. We don't want anyone to risk a life by not being able to access contacts. This sounds like a Force Close error message.
I want you to try to go to the "Contacts" and clear the cache for the app http://vz.to/1ELvCwM

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Karen_G

I am having the same problem, so I tried your suggestion.  When I touched "Clear cache", nothing happened. 

0 Likes
geozimm

I have been having the same problem on a Droid Razr Maxx HD.  5 or 6 times a day, when I try to use the dialer or contacts I will get "Unfortunately Contacts has stopped". If I try it 3 or 4 times, eventually it works. I have tried clearing the cache.  I have tried running in Safe Mode.  I have tried doing a factory reset and running - no effect (so I reinstalled my other apps).

This all has been happening since the September update to 4.4.2

I am running:

System version 182.46.15.XT926.Verizon.en.US

Model numnber: DROID RAZR MAXX HD

Android version 4.4.2

Baseband version: VANQUISH_BP_100731.020.64.21P

Kernel version 3.4.42-gbd361ac dbbuild@ca88lnxdroid25 #1 Tuesday Jul 29 03:03:04 PDT 2014

Build number KDA20.62-15

Build date TUe Jul 29 02:51:09 PDT 2014

Any solutions? - I've seen this reported elsewhere on this site for various phones (e.g., Droid Ultra).  Before I thought it might be specific to my nearly 2-year-old hardware.

-george

0 Likes
HDMac

I have been having the same problem as of the last week or so. No system update or any apps .All of a sudden started happening. I have cleared the app cache and app data and it will open a few times ok, then the 3rd or 4th time it crashes again and I get the error "Unfortunately, Contacts has stopped working"....

This is so darn frustrating. What are my options (can you remote into my phone or something)??????

HELP

0 Likes
GoNavyPensacola
Enthusiast - Level 1

As stated in my original post, I have cleared all cache multiple times with no solution to the problem. It appears by the additional postings with the same issue that the problem resides in the update pushed out by either VZ or Motorola and needs to be analyzed by said vendors rather then your consumers having to troubleshoot things we have no access to (i.e. proprietary codes/updates) for the root of this issue. I have been with VZ even before VZ was a company and had not had any issues until now (30 plus years) and YES, I am in the Technology field (30 plus years) and can pretty much tell when something was induced rather then self-induced. Please find a fix, before a class action for "wrongful death due to non-access to dial 911" due to phone service failure. All other functions on the phone work perfectly, just this annoying error/problem. Thanks....

0 Likes
HDMac

An update & fix. I had restricted all my background data on my phone at some point. In stead, I enabled background data, then went back and locked each program down individually. What I found was if the Play Store has background data restricted, the contacts app will crash. Why is that? When I have the play store un-restricted it uses a ton of background data (why would that be?).

Anyway, now my contacts app works.

0 Likes
AGuyWithACellPhone

I'm having the same problem, as of a few weeks ago.  I've cleared the cache multiple times, and each time I do, the contacts works for a short time but then stops again.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I understand how frustrating this can be AGuyWithACellPhone, let's keep working to fix it. Have you tried resetting the app? You can do so by selecting "Force Stop", then test again. If you're still having problems, place phone in Safe Mode http://vz.to/1Aqxk5L and use it for a bit to test the Contacts app.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport 

0 Likes
AGuyWithACellPhone

Thank you for replying. I tried the "force stop," and the problem persisted. I restarted my phone in safe mode a few hours ago and have not had the problem since.

0 Likes