Why do text messages no longer show contact names, just phone numbers?
kmd367
Enthusiast - Level 1

This just started this morning. Incoming messages (text and I-messages) on IPAD no longer show contact name just their phone number preceded by a 1. I have Verizon service on IPAD. IPhone is fine.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: IPAD Mini: Text messages no longer show contact names just phone numbers
kmd367
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for your reply! !. Actually, I brought my iPad mini over to the Verizon store yesterday afternoon. The first Verizon representative that I encountered had no idea what the problem was but immediately jumped to the conclusion that I hadn't added them to my "contacts". I told her that all of my "contacts" were brought over from my I Iphone to my iPad by the Verizon store (Not the one I was at) more than a year ago when I purchased the iPad. I told her they had been in "contacts" for more than a year and suddenly are missing. Well this threw her for a loop! since I wasn't in the frame of mind to have her continue "Grilling" me as to whether or not I was sure I ever received my messages and text messages with the senders name on them, I asked her to have a technician come over and talk to me. End of that conversation

Overcame someone who really seemed as if he understood iPads and iPhones. Although I think there probably was a quicker work aroundthen what he decided to do, everything had to be download it again from the "cloud". I don't have to tell you how long this takes. After two hours, I finally left the Verizon storewith four apps still needing to be downloaded. I did that when I returned home. I'm not convinced that there wasn't some type of lack of communication between Verizon and Apple that caused the initial problem that I experienced yesterday. However that is resolved, I hope permanently.

I do have another question to ask you since I have your ear! I downloaded the new I iOS 8.0 last night. aren't I brave after the time that I spent at Verizon! here's my question. Today I received a group message. One of the people in the group was someone that I didn't know and so only their iPhone number was listed. Perfectly understandable however there were all types of indicators after that "send my current location" "share my location" "Leave this conversation". Unfortunately I said share location and everybody received a map of where I live! No harm done. But how do I get rid of all of these questions on a group message. Is there somewhere in settings that I can change this? Thanks again for your concern and for your reply

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's get your iPad back to normal, kmd367! Is this affecting SMS and iMessage(blue and green background on messages)? This will help us narrow down if this is with our networks or the Apple servers. I am eager to get to the bottom of this!

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes
kmd367
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for your reply! !. Actually, I brought my iPad mini over to the Verizon store yesterday afternoon. The first Verizon representative that I encountered had no idea what the problem was but immediately jumped to the conclusion that I hadn't added them to my "contacts". I told her that all of my "contacts" were brought over from my I Iphone to my iPad by the Verizon store (Not the one I was at) more than a year ago when I purchased the iPad. I told her they had been in "contacts" for more than a year and suddenly are missing. Well this threw her for a loop! since I wasn't in the frame of mind to have her continue "Grilling" me as to whether or not I was sure I ever received my messages and text messages with the senders name on them, I asked her to have a technician come over and talk to me. End of that conversation

Overcame someone who really seemed as if he understood iPads and iPhones. Although I think there probably was a quicker work aroundthen what he decided to do, everything had to be download it again from the "cloud". I don't have to tell you how long this takes. After two hours, I finally left the Verizon storewith four apps still needing to be downloaded. I did that when I returned home. I'm not convinced that there wasn't some type of lack of communication between Verizon and Apple that caused the initial problem that I experienced yesterday. However that is resolved, I hope permanently.

I do have another question to ask you since I have your ear! I downloaded the new I iOS 8.0 last night. aren't I brave after the time that I spent at Verizon! here's my question. Today I received a group message. One of the people in the group was someone that I didn't know and so only their iPhone number was listed. Perfectly understandable however there were all types of indicators after that "send my current location" "share my location" "Leave this conversation". Unfortunately I said share location and everybody received a map of where I live! No harm done. But how do I get rid of all of these questions on a group message. Is there somewhere in settings that I can change this? Thanks again for your concern and for your reply

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It is our pleasure to assist, kmd367! I am glad to hear that your concerns were eventually addressed.

You can certainly turn off your Share location. Go to Settings > location services > scroll down to share my location and turn it off. Please know if your location service is turned off, then you will not be able to access this feature.

Once this feature is turned off, you will not have that message when you are in a message.

Let us know if you have additional questions or concerns, You may also visit http://bit.ly/yN1P80

Thank you,

LenaA_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport