Galaxy S5 Screen Rotation and Gyro stopped working
Concrete
Enthusiast - Level 2

The screen won't rotate on my Galaxy S5.  I checked that the auto rotate is enabled.  I also downloaded a level bubble app and the bubble doesn't move.  Does anyone know if this is a Samsung issue or an Android issue.  I tried switching the auto rotation setting and then changing it back with numerous reboots and battery pulls.  Samsung tech support had me clear the cache partition but that didn't work.  Now Samsung tech support wants me to factory reset my device which can be a real hassle to re-install and re-setup everything especially if it doesn't solve the problem.

Does anybody know what is going on and how to fix it??

Re: Galaxy S5 Screen Rotation and Gyro stopped working
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

There definitely seems like something is stopping this feature Concrete! I would recommend a hard reset. That would be the best option.

JoeL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
tylerw1285
Contributor - Level 1

did you try holding a blank spot on homepage. then home screen settings, transition effect. select 3d rotation. then reboot and everything should do what it is supposed to

bearone21
Legend

might be from an app you added....remove the bubble app.

tylerw1285
Contributor - Level 1

There used to be a dialer code you could use on like the S3 that would let you test or reset colors, camera, gyro, touch. was like #*0735059*  but was changed and i don't know if verizon will give you the S5 code for such testing. They really don't want ya in there

0 Likes
B33
Legend

I would suggest a Hard Reset as Well but you could try First a couple of other things try pulling the battery and press the power button for 20 sec. hold then re-instal it see if that'll work if it does not then run a system cache it's not quite like a Factory Reset but it might get the phones feature to working again..

You find running a system cache by doing a Google search..

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does the screen rotation work after rebooting the phone? I'm not sure if it is a hardware or software bug, but some Nexus 7 2013 tablets have been having a similar issue. I don't know what is causing their problem.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Concrete
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi JoeL,

Even though it is a major hassle, I did a factory reset.

I then installed a level bubble app (Compass Level by LemonClip) from Google Play to see if the Gyro sensors were functioning.  They were, and the screen rotated properly in the Gallery app.

I then started the arduous task of re-installing apps and updates and resetting account info, user preferences and other settings in both my device and in my apps (banking, email, weather, ect...).  Soon I began getting the error message that "Unfortunately VZWAVSService has Stopped working" upon every reboot.  (I don't know if this is related).  Also intermittently the screen stopped rotating and the level bubble app was frozen. 

A few days ago I was able to restore screen rotation and gyro activity by shutting down my device and then rebooting it.  Now, 4 days after a hard factory reset of my device (on 9/6/2014), I am unable to restore screen rotation and gyro activity.  I have tried every method suggested by the replies to my original post except another hard reset.

Can you help me figure out what is going on??

What possible app or setting could be hijacking my devices gyro sensor capabilities??

What exactly is VZWAVSService and why should I expect that this error message is not somehow related??

This is very frustrating, your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Concrete
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks tylerw1285.

Tried it, but it didn't work.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader