Kitkat destroyed my Galaxy S4
shortster90
Enthusiast - Level 2

Kitkat has destroyed my phone. Quite possibly the worst update ever.

Here are a few things that have happened after the update:

1: Deleted all of my photos and videos on the sd card. All that is left are thumbnails, cannot recover photos.

2: Can't maintain a 4g connection to save my life. Connection goes from 4g to 3g to 1x, no data connection

in areas that have excellent 4g signal strength. I have never lost a 4g connection in these areas prior to Kitkat.

3: Phone overheats, then shuts down on Google Maps. Prior to Kitkat, Google maps ran fine, no overheating,

now it overheats while in front of A/C vent. Overheating symbol comes on and Google Maps shuts down.

4: Second replacement phone does the exact same thing. The third replacement is on Jellybean and none of

these problems are occurring, no overheating, I can maintain a 4g signal and Google Maps work BUT it beeps

every 5 minutes, wanting to download Kitkat.

5: Second refurbished phone with Kitkat overheated and shut down while downloading apps while the third

refurbished phone on Jellybean downloaded 6.8 gigs of apps, app data, photos and music without skipping

a beat.

What bothers me the most about this update, Google, Samsung and Verizon gave no warning about how

Kitkat would overwrite and delete personal information on the sd card. I had priceless irreplaceable pictures

and videos on the sd card, they were my digital property, not Google's. This destructive act of my personal

property, and the destruction of personal property that has been done to thousands of others, deserves a

class action lawsuit.
  I cannot imagine a more intrusive violation of privacy. This is worse than the NSA spying scandal, at least

they don't erase all of your pictures and videos, they just watch them.

Re: Kitkat destroyed my Galaxy S4
kerri1204
Enthusiast - Level 1

The same thing happened to me. EVERYTHING ON SD CARD IS GONE. Loved this phone before the update. Now, I want to throw it against a wall!!!! Disgusted!!!#!

BirdOnTheBeach
Contributor - Level 1

I have an S3, but just lost everything on my SD card as well.  I am angry over the 6 months of hassles I've had since the 4.3 update.

Anyone up for lawsuits? 

0 Likes
Zalyn
Enthusiast - Level 1

The same thing happened to my SD Card. I removed my card from my phone and inserted into my adapter for my computer. My computer doesn't even recognize my card anymore. This is some real BS! If there is any discussion regarding a lawsuit, count me in! I agree shortster90

BirdOnTheBeach
Contributor - Level 1

Someone suggested recovery apps to me, you might give them a try.  Computerworld did a review of 6:

6 data recovery tools for SD cards, USB drives and more - Computerworld

They didn't work for me, but at least one of them was actually able to see that my card existed.  In the end, I was able to see it for brief moments (I don't know why) and when it would flash into visibility, I would grab some of my "stuff".  I was able to recover my pictures, which were the things most important to me.

0 Likes
BirdOnTheBeach
Contributor - Level 1

See my other post in your thread.  Someone posted a link to some recovery apps on another discussion, you might give them a whirl.  Some are free, some are pay, one of them was able to see my SD card which had become completely invisible.  At least you can see yours, which means it might be recoverable if your computer can read it from an adapter.

6 data recovery tools for SD cards, USB drives and more - Computerworld

0 Likes
tae111
Enthusiast - Level 3

I got the Kit Kat update on my s3.Now it gives me messages that the phone is overheating. No apps will open. When put it on the charger it will stop charging after a few minutes and show the overheating message. The phone is stone cold. My phone is 1 year and 3 months old so it's 3 months over the Samsung warranty so no direct replacement. This update may have worked for millions of phones but as far as I'm concerned Samsung sent a bomb to my phone and destroyed it.

Imagine taking you new car to the dealer for a scheduled service. It's 3 months over the warranty but it is running great. You go to pick it up and they tell you they did something that destroyed it but since it's out of warranty your on your own.

0 Likes
MagicMike23

<< Comments removed >> I would suggest you take precaution, especially with irreplaceable photos & videos. You mean to tell me you had these files stored in only 1 place, not auto-uploaded to Google+, Dropbox, Picasa, or any of the bloatware that Samsung & Verizon put on your device? And on one of the least reliable storage mediums out there (microSD)? Tsk tsk *wags finger*. If you don't like uploading them to "the cloud", maybe you should plug into a PC and dump photos every month or two. Or copy them from microSD to internal memory, just copy them somewhere.

<< Comments removed, rooting discussion in violation of  Verizon Wireless Terms of Service >>

Post edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes