remove or disable hangouts
keithterrill
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have gone into apps and uninstalled updates. It keeps showing in My Apps for Updates. I do now want it. How do I disable it so it won't keep requesting me to update it?

I have looked in settings->apps but it doesn't show up there. In fact, other than being on My Apps in the App Store screen I do not have it showing up at all.

Any help?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: remove or disable hangouts
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hangouts might have reverted to its original name "Google Talk" or something like that.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Click on the menu icon>Settings>Apps and go to Hangouts.  Click on Hangouts and when opened click on disable

0 Likes
jamilynm
Enthusiast - Level 3

So it can be disabled but not uninstalled.   These updates have turned my phone into a worthless piece of shit.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

It can definitely be disabled.

0 Likes
keithterrill
Enthusiast - Level 2

Jakeman1, I have looked there and it isn't there.

I go to: menu (three lines in the lower left corner of my phone) -> System settings -> Apps -> Downloaded... and it is not found there.

so change from Downloaded by swiping to All... and it is not there either. The list shows:

Graffiti Pro

Greek in a Month

Hebrew

Hebrew Flash Cards

It doesn't show Hangouts.

If I click on the apps icon in the center of the bottom of my phone, then the apps play store icon in the upper right, then the play store icon on the upper left, then select My apps...

At the top of the list is "Updates" with one entry... and that entry is Hangouts. And it wants me to "update" it to my phone.

So, how do I disable this thing... I can not locate it. And before you say... back in the Apps -> All, I looked at every single app listed from the beginning to the end.

So, any ideas?

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

When you get to Apps, slide the screen over to ALL. Don't look at running or downloaded as that is an app that was installed on the phone with the OS so it is not a downloaded app.

0 Likes
keithterrill
Enthusiast - Level 2

Jakeman1, in case you missed it in the last posting I said:

so change from Downloaded by swiping to All... and it is not there either. The list shows:

Graffiti Pro

Greek in a Month

Hebrew

Hebrew Flash Cards

in other words, I did slide over to ALL. And it is not there.

Just so you can see, here is a screen shot:

Screenshot_2014-06-16-07-32-23.png

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I would be curious to know what phone you have. This app shows up in the various android phones on my account with the ability to disable it.

0 Likes
keithterrill
Enthusiast - Level 2

rschnoor, the phone is a Motorola Driod Razr xt912 with Android Version 4.1.2

I have disabled Amazon Kindle, Facebook, and TalkBack. But, this Hangouts only shows up in the App Update... and I just can not locate it anywhere else.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

In older versions of android, I noticed they sometimes "hid" the names of apps in your apps menu by labeling them like "com.android.appname" or com.google.appname" or some other similar naming protocol. Check in the "ALL" list of apps for an app starting with "com." to see if one of those apps has the word "hangout" in it. If so, I would try disabling that. You may have to first uninstall the updates for it before it lets you disable it, though.

0 Likes