If I sign up for a phone/plan in my name, can I later switch my line over to another account?
dev421

My family is moving to Verizon in the next few months. However, my current phone on Sprint broke and I am looking to switch over now, onto a single-line plan. My intention is to do an edge phone like this until my dad switches over in a few months, and then join his family plan. He will be a separate account owner, though, because he gets a significant employee discount whereas my single line account will be in my name.

Will I be able to switch my line over to my dad's account when he joins, effectively closing my account (but not the phone line)? We've done this in the past with Sprint - I just want to make sure we can do this on VZW before I sign up on my own.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: If I sign up for a phone/plan in my name, can I later switch my line over to my dad's plan when he eventually switches?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi dev421 - We would love for your family to join ours as soon as possible and I am ecstatic to hear you may be coming over early! The process to allow another person to take over your line of service is called an Assumption of Liability. Typically there would be no problem transferring the line however we are unable to complete an Assumption of Liability when an active Edge agreement is in place. Would your father be willing to open your line in his name with us now?

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: If I sign up for a phone/plan in my name, can I later switch my line over to my dad's plan when he eventually switches?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi dev421 - We would love for your family to join ours as soon as possible and I am ecstatic to hear you may be coming over early! The process to allow another person to take over your line of service is called an Assumption of Liability. Typically there would be no problem transferring the line however we are unable to complete an Assumption of Liability when an active Edge agreement is in place. Would your father be willing to open your line in his name with us now?

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes
dev421

Thanks for the reply! I'm glad I asked in advance!

The difficulty of the situation is that we are in separate states (I am in NC, he is in AZ). What options would we have for him to sign up in his name for my phone?

0 Likes
Jiminraleigh
Contributor - Level 2

You may have other (temporary) options....depending on where in NC you live.

email me and I will share.

Jim

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

dev421,

We can definitely make sure your father is able to sign up for your account in his name when he is in a different state. You can have your father call our 800 number (800-922-0204) and we can get the account opened and the device shipped out.

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes