Exactly when is data being used?
Padraig1001
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've had my Ultra for just a week and I've already built up 245MG in data and I don't know how I did it. Most everything I do is done at my home with wireless turned on. I have two questions:

1. How do I know WHEN an app is turned off and not eating data?
  2. Most of the data eaten was downloading apps from the App Store. Should this download count against my time IF I'm using my wireless connection?

Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Exactly WHEN is data being used?
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

What phone are you using?

You should go into the Play Store Settings and set it to only allow downloads when connected to WiFi and it will not use your data. Downloads from The Play Store are counted against Data if NOT through Wifi.

You should also go into your phone and disable ALL of the bloatware apps on the phone so they do not try to update or use data. This includes Verizon Apps such as Verizon Cloud, VA Navigator etc.... Turn the rest to update or use data only when connected to WiFi.

View solution in original post

Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

What phone are you using?

You should go into the Play Store Settings and set it to only allow downloads when connected to WiFi and it will not use your data. Downloads from The Play Store are counted against Data if NOT through Wifi.

You should also go into your phone and disable ALL of the bloatware apps on the phone so they do not try to update or use data. This includes Verizon Apps such as Verizon Cloud, VA Navigator etc.... Turn the rest to update or use data only when connected to WiFi.

Padraig1001
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you, Jakeman. I'm in the process of doing exactly what you said; however, I did have a hard time actually finding where to disable apps I don't want. My next concern is disabling apps that I may not know I need. 😞

Again, thank you!

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

To disable apps go to Settings>Apps>All and find the ones you want to disable.  If the Disable button is greyed out or not present you need to uninstall the Updates for the app and then disable it.

Post a list here of which ones you want to disable and we can tell you if you need them or not.

You will want to disable apps like these (if you do NOT use them)

Amazon Kindle

Amazon MP3

Backup Assistant (any version)

V Cast Apps

Facebook (unless you use it)

Google Play Books

Google Play Movies

Google Play Music

Google +

MOG Music

My Verizon Mobile

Netflix

NFL Mobile

QuickOffice

Slacker Radio

Slingbox

Smart Actions (this app does nothing to help you save battery and actually uses more battery as it is another app to automate doing things on the phone so while you are not doing the thing ont he phone, th eapp is so battery is always running harder then it should)

Swype

Verizon Video

VZ Navigator