DNA KitKat Update
ASA12
Enthusiast - Level 3

Both my phone and the wife's phone updated to KitKat.   After the update, both phones had decreased signal.  We both had 3-4 bar and now we have 0-1.  Also while there are other ways  to turn on airplane mode, the widget is no longer available. 

There are several other minor changes, but nothing major.

Any ideas about the signal changes and what can be done?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: DNA KitKat Update
shawngmc
Enthusiast - Level 2

Out of curiosity, are you dropping calls or noticing decreased call quality?

The bars aren't a clean measuring tool. For example, if they changed the formula on how many bars to display for a given signal strength, the signal may be the same.

It may be useful if you use a third-party app (I use SignalCheck Lite, for example) to get the actual strength (in dBm) and signal-to-noise ratio (in dB). Obviously, I'd recommend looking at apps that offer this - don't just go by my usage - but this can be useful to see what your actual signal strength is. If you do use SignalCheck, it also has it's own meter, and you'll find it's much different - it's a gradient, and the bar is a bit more optimistic - but the actual signal measurement is more useful.

As an example, to my network extender right beside my phone, I'm hovering around -65 dBm. A weak VZW tower (due to concrete) is giving me around -110 dBm. Again, these are just my numbers; I'd do my own research before considering any signal measurement 'weak' or 'strong'.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Kevinhauenstein

I'm having the same issue with my signal, I'm lucky to get 1 bar after the Kit Kat update. Would really appreciate a fix.

0 Likes
jf2go
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am seeing this as well.  In areas where I consistently had the full 5 bars, I now get 2 or 3 bars.  I hope that Verizon/HTC will chime in here and let us know what is going on.  I have a couple of other issues as well.  I can't seem to print emails, calendar appointments, or contacts any longer.  Gallery images can still be printed though.

0 Likes
shawngmc
Enthusiast - Level 2

Out of curiosity, are you dropping calls or noticing decreased call quality?

The bars aren't a clean measuring tool. For example, if they changed the formula on how many bars to display for a given signal strength, the signal may be the same.

It may be useful if you use a third-party app (I use SignalCheck Lite, for example) to get the actual strength (in dBm) and signal-to-noise ratio (in dB). Obviously, I'd recommend looking at apps that offer this - don't just go by my usage - but this can be useful to see what your actual signal strength is. If you do use SignalCheck, it also has it's own meter, and you'll find it's much different - it's a gradient, and the bar is a bit more optimistic - but the actual signal measurement is more useful.

As an example, to my network extender right beside my phone, I'm hovering around -65 dBm. A weak VZW tower (due to concrete) is giving me around -110 dBm. Again, these are just my numbers; I'd do my own research before considering any signal measurement 'weak' or 'strong'.

0 Likes
jf2go
Enthusiast - Level 2

I also have a Network Extender in my home.  I am showing -112 dBm when in the same room, next to the extender.  At the same time, the phone is showing 1 or 2 bars.  I have not experienced any dropped calls, but I haven't made a lot of calls since the update yesterday.  I will check the signal strength again when I leave the house and am out of range of the extender.

0 Likes
Kevinhauenstein

Yeah calls start breaking up and while browsing internet it lags and takes longer to load pages.

0 Likes
shawngmc
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hmm... given what you've both said, it looks like it's probably not a display issue.

You'll probably need a VZW rep to be made aware of it - the GS3 had major signal issues after an update a while ago that took a few weeks to repatch.

0 Likes
jf2go
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am logging a ticket with Verizon now.  I guess that I would encourage anyone else having the issue to do the same.  That may help get it resolved sooner than later.

0 Likes
Kevinhauenstein

How does one log a ticket?

0 Likes
jf2go
Enthusiast - Level 2

I called Customer Service (800) 922-0204 and transferred to tech support.

0 Likes