Using an international SIM in my Samsung Galaxy S3
zzzz8

I'm planning to travel to London in a few months.  I want to pop-in an international SIM card into the SIM card slot, for example I would get a SIM card from giffgaff.

However, I read that although Verizon unlocks my S3 for voice and text if I pop in another international SIM card, Verizon has yet and will never unlock the data.  Is this correct?  Is there any way of getting around this other than rooting the device?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Using an international SIM in my Samsung Galaxy S3
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If your phone has the latest version of the OS, it should be fully SIM unlocked. One of the last OS updates should have fixed the international roaming issue. You might want to check the community to see if anyone reported getting it to work for them.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: Using an international SIM in my Samsung Galaxy S3
zzzz8

I contacted VZW support directly (via online chat).  The representative stated (or claimed) that the S3 is currently unlocked for voice, text, and data.  However, the rep noted that compatibility with a SIM card would be dependent on the SIM card provider, their network compatibility with the phone, etc...  The rep also directed me to this website to check for compatibility:

GSM World Coverage Map- GSM Country List by frequency bands

Oh well, I guess I'll have to see what happens when I get to London...

0 Likes