Why am I using so much data?
trivers15
Enthusiast - Level 1

Since switching from the iPhone 4 to the iPhone 5S, my data usage has significantly increased. I am 16 days into my billing cycle (ends on the 7) and have used 1.110 out of 2 GB of data. I called Verizon, they said that LTE is much faster- obviously. I haven't changed any of my networking habits. I used to get the 50% notification about 2-3 days before the billing cycle was up- LTE can't make that much of a difference. Why is my phone blowing through my data? Has any one else had this problem?

Labels (2)
Re: Why am I using so much data?
KimEW
Enthusiast - Level 2

From what I've read and my experience wirh my 2 Daughters 5S' s it us a serious ongoing across the board problem!!!!!!! My girls data usage h as skyrocketed since getting their 5S' s and they're not using them any different than they did the 4S' s. It makes me furious!!! I believe its a scam to get more money even though we already pay a fortune!!!!

0 Likes
KimEW
Enthusiast - Level 2

I forgot to mention I also got the Family Base Control thing to stop the extra data usage and what do you know....Data usage doesn't show up on that and even though I had set limits for my Girls somehow one of them went over her 2 gig limit and I never received ANY texts but when I looked online I found out she had used almost 8 gigs which is ALL our data for 4 phones. Unbelivable!!!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello trivers15, let's solve this mystery! Data with a 4G device compared to a 3G device will use more data even with the same functions. Also, with transferring applications, contacts, and any other saved information that synced from the 4 to the 5s will use more data than the usual functions you have been doing on a daily basis. You can view the amount of data each function or application has used by going to Settings, Cellular, scroll to Use Cellular Data section.

WiltonA_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
trivers15
Enthusiast - Level 1

So what if I turn off LTE from my iPhone? Will that save data? I had originally set up my 5S from a backup from my 4. Since using a lot of data, I factory reset the 5S and set it up as a new iPhone. Will that help?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

KimEW,

That's certainly odd, we appreciate you being proactive about your account and using Family Base. I use it myself and have never had a problem, but I can see why you're concerned; it should be preventing data once you select that option. Please follow the steps here http://vz.to/1mVqWLq to ensure all the Settings are correct. Once they are, keep us posted if this continues. 

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I understand your concerns regarding data usage KimEW! I have two teenagers and I truly feel your pain as my kids are always data hungry. Our family keep data under control by enabling WiFi always as no cellular data is used when connected to an open WiFi network. Also make sure that your phones' applications are set to do backups or update only when connected to WiFi. I know that my wife's iPhone latest update to 7.1 was 1.8GB and this would have taken her 2GB if she processed the update on cellular data. If your new phones were originally setup and contacts and media backup up while connected to cellular data instead of WiFi it is normal that you first month's data usage is higher than normal. I trust that keeping WiFi enabled will resolve your data usage concerns, works for my family.

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
Sampson61

Problem.  I understand about data and wifi. My wifi says it'soon but it'S apparently not because the circular Tool keeps "trying".

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

trivers15,

Great question. When you initially set up your phone and bring it from a backup we suggest that you have the wifi on. It is very data intensive redownloading the new apps. There is no need to turn off your LTE. The best way to save data is to be logged into wifi.

RobinD_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Sampson61,

Here to help resolve your concerns! Is this occurring when connecting to all Wi-Fi connections or just one in particular? Have you attempted to forget the network and re-establish connection?

EfrainM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes