Who Thinks Verizon Edge is a Deceptive Marketing Ploy
CantWaitForMyContract

To convert to Verizon Edge, Verizon requires that you purchase all new smartphones.  This is unacceptable. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Who Thinks Verizon Edge is a Deceptive Marketing Ploy
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Why do you want to convert to the Verizon Edge program if you don't want a new phone?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I don't think the Edge program is limited to smartphones, you can also purchase basic phones.

I'm not sure what you mean, though, when you say Verizon requires you to purchase new phones in order to convert to the Edge program. The Edge program is nothing more than an agreement to purchase a new phone. If you don't want to purchase a new phone, then of course you would not be able to enter into an Edge agreement.

0 Likes
eknaham

I ABSOLUTELY THINK IT IS A SCAM AND CAN NOT WAIT FOR MY CONTRACT TO END AND THEN I PLAN ON GOING ELSE WHERE.  VERIZON SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES.  I EVEN TRIED RETURNING MY SERVICE WITHIN THE 14 DAY TRIAL PERIOD AND WAS GIVEN THE RUNAROUND AND MORE SALES TRICK TACTICS AND WAS FURTHERMORE SCAMMED. NOW I AM STUCK WITH THIS CORRUPT COMPANY FOR 2 VERY LONG YEARS!!!! WORST DECISION EVER GOING TO VERIZON. 

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Kind of like saying a car dealership "requires" you to purchase a car if you want to enter into a car loan agreement?????

0 Likes
ponyruns
Contributor - Level 3

With the current smartphone line discounts, when you do the math edge can actually save you a few bucks.  But you have to perform the math relative to your need/desire to upgrade.  Do you like to upgrade yearly or do your rarely feel the need to upgrade?  Also do you require less than 10GB per month or do you require 10GB+ per month?  Depending on your answers to both of those questions you may find that Edge can save you quite a bit of money or just a few bucks, but in the end even a dollar saved is something to consider.

See the following thread related to the single line plans with Edge Edge Plan for Single Line - Evaluation

If you are on the More Everything Plan then the math will give you slightly different results. For Example, you want to upgrade to the Samsung Galaxy S5:

Purchase via 2 year contract w/10GB Data Package (Cannot Upgrade until 24 Months):

Up front payment = $199.99 + Tax + $30 upgrade fee = 229.99 + taxes

Monthly payments = ($40 line access + taxes + $100) x 24 months = $3360

Total Payments = (299.99 + tax) + $3360 = 3589.99 + taxes

Purchase via Edge contract w/10GB Data Package (Keep phone for 2 years):

Up front payment = $24.99 + Tax on full cost of phone (no upgrade fee) = 24.99 + taxes

Monthly payments = ($15 line access + taxes + $100) x 24 + ($24.99 phone installment) x 23 months = $3334.77

Total Payments = (24.99 + tax) + $3334.77 = 3359.76 + taxes

Total Savings with Verizon Edge 10GB+ discount pricing:

2 year payments - Edge payments = $3589.99 - $3359.76 = $230.23

Hope this helps

0 Likes
ponyruns
Contributor - Level 3

I do not agree I think it is good marketing for people who really do like to upgrade to a new device on a yearly or semi yearly basis.  Even if you do not need to upgrade yearly your data needs may turn the math in your favor when considering the edge program see my example below.  The math does not lie. 

0 Likes
Not applicable

Why would you want to be on Verizon Edge if you're not wanting anew phone? The Edge program is a payment plan for new phone purchases.

The problem here is people still want a subsdized price and the $25 a month discount.

0 Likes
Not applicable

ponyruns wrote:

I do not agree I think it is good marketing for people who really do like to upgrade to a new device on a yearly or semi yearly basis.  Even if you do not need to upgrade yearly your data needs may turn the math in your favor when considering the edge program see my example below.  The math does not lie.

Edge is better than a subsidy on the higher priced phones even if you upgrade every year. A Galaxy S5 is $200 plus $30 upgrade fee so $230 plus taxes. On Edge it's $25 a month but you get a $25 a month discount. Basically the phone is free. Even with the $10 discount you're paying $15 a month so after 1 year you've paid $180 and you can get a newer phone. $180 < $230

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

mrniceguy wrote:

Even with the $10 discount you're paying $15 a month so after 1 year you've paid $180 and you can get a newer phone. $180 < $230

Although when you upgrade after one year on Edge, you will STILL be paying that $15/month on your NEXT phone while the person under contract will be paying $0. $0 < $180 and with the 2 yr cost, $230 < $360.