Galaxy S5 4G Reception Signal Results
dawktwenty
Enthusiast - Level 3

[My new Galaxy S5 does not seem to be getting great signal reception. It's constantly around -100-106 dbm. I downloaded an app that checks it every 1 minute and then produces the results in excel forumat. Other devices in my office (also on verizon) are getting much better reception

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"][B]I went to the mall, and the Galaxy S5 there was around -80, while mine was -97. Obviously both Verizon. How is this possible, other than a faulty radio in my device?[/B][/COLOR]

I remember back in the day you could dial #228, but obviously with 4G you can not do that.

Should I return/exchange my phone?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Galaxy S5 4G Reception Signal Results
dawktwenty
Enthusiast - Level 3

I should add, that if I power off the phone, take out the sim card, and then reinsert it. The signal does get better for awhile, and eventually drops off again.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks so much for providing this great insight, dawktwenty. I want to see you have a positive experience with your S5. There are so many great features but obviously the most important feature is the devices ability to use phone service. ( calls, text and data ) To update service PRL's on LTE devices simply remove and reinsert the SIM. I would also suggest running the device in Safe Mode, http://vz.to/1i8B5FP . What zip code are you located in?

YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
dawktwenty
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the response. So I did that. I already took out the sim card and put it back in, but I did it again. I turned it on in safe mode. The phone started out reading -84 dbm, which is about right and what other people's phones in my building with verizon are reading. Within the next 5 mins it kept creeping up, and is now settled at around -104-106 dbm..sometimes it will shoot to -98, but mostly in the 100s. Does this sound like a hardware issue?

I am in zip code 17055

0 Likes
dawktwenty
Enthusiast - Level 3

You can see in the circled area, if I do a restart, the signal is better for like 5-10 mins, then drops off again.

Screenshot_2014-04-21-16-18-18.png

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for all that you've done thus far. It's certainly odd as signal should stay relatively stable with the device in safe mode and the position unchanged. Although, I can't nail it down specifically to a hardware issue I would suggest completing a factory reset. Once the device boots up please avoid installing / loading any applications. I would also suggest testing without a case as in rare cases it may cause an interference with signal.

YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
dawktwenty
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the reply, but I did a factory reset 2 days ago to see if it fixed it. It did not. I actually do not have a case on it.

The reason I want to get to the bottom of all of this is because on the 26th (friday) I will have had my phone 14 days, and I know that once that date comes and goes I suppose I won't be able to exchange this phone for another. I like the phone, just want it to work!

I bought this phone online. Since I can not go into a store and walk out with another, how does it work since I purchased it online? Do I have to send my old phone back first? How can I go without a phone until the new one gets here?

Thank you.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the additional information dawktwenty! Great news! You can return/exchange your device at any Verizon Wireless http://bit.ly/3SdsA corporate store, providing that they have the device you want in stock.

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
rustyray
Enthusiast - Level 1

I bought in July my s5 new in the Verizon store in zipcode 31326. I was getting  4g up till about end of august. My Internet keeps cutting out. I have rebooted. Taken simcard out. Called Verizon and complained. I have been with Verizon for many years. I won't change because I did get the best coverage with Verizon. If this does not get resolved soon it looks like I may have to go with cheaper payment and same coverage I'm getting now. The way I see what is going on is a phone issue, but I still bought it from you and this phone represents you and your commitment to being the best..