Galaxy S5 MMS Won't Download Automatically
EvlNvrDys
Contributor - Level 1

Purchased the Galaxy S5 on release day April 11. Love the phone so far, but have an issue with MMS.  The messages won't download automatically.  I need to click download within the message itself.  I have it set to Auto Retrieve MMS messages within settings.  I'm using the Samsung Messaging being as I'm not in the mood to use Google Hangouts for text messages and also have no reason to use the Verizon Message+.  Is anyone else having the same issue? Does anyone have a fix for this?  Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Galaxy S5 MMS Won't Download Automatically
kvorrier27
Enthusiast - Level 1

EvINvrDys, not sure if you resolved your issue, but I had the same problem and just figured out why.  Everything had been working correctly (pictures in MMS messages were downloading automatically regardless of WiFi or Mobile Data usage) until I turned on Power saving mode and checked the box for "Block background data" - that was the culprit.  Having this box checked meant that a picture in a MMS wasn't downloading automatically because it was "background" data.  I unchecked the box and now all is well in the world again.

Good luck, hope this works for you, too!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know messages are important EvlNvrDys, and you should be able to auto-receive pictues & videos. When this is happening, is your phone set on WiFi, or Mobile Data? Please try setting on Mobile Data only, to see if corrects.

Please keep us posted.

Thank you,
VanessaS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
EvlNvrDys
Contributor - Level 1

Wi-Fi is always on.  If you recall, a few years back Verizon started to take away our Unlimited Data.  Therefor, I now use Wi-Fi as much as possible to avoid any unwanted data charges.

I never had this problem with my Galaxy S3 or Galaxy S4.  I will give it a try, but if that is the case, you need a better fix than to have us turn Wi-Fi off, unless you plan on giving us unlimited data at the same rate we pay now!

EvlNvrDys
Contributor - Level 1

Just tried it with Wi-Fi OFF.  Had wife send me a picture message.  Then she sent a separate text to tell me sent. When I went into text messages had to click download button again to receive the picture.

0 Likes
kvorrier27
Enthusiast - Level 1

EvINvrDys, not sure if you resolved your issue, but I had the same problem and just figured out why.  Everything had been working correctly (pictures in MMS messages were downloading automatically regardless of WiFi or Mobile Data usage) until I turned on Power saving mode and checked the box for "Block background data" - that was the culprit.  Having this box checked meant that a picture in a MMS wasn't downloading automatically because it was "background" data.  I unchecked the box and now all is well in the world again.

Good luck, hope this works for you, too!

0 Likes
EvlNvrDys
Contributor - Level 1

kvorrier27 thanks for the response.  I love how "Verizon" Techs give 1 stupid response, you test out their theory, say it doesn't work and then THEY never come back!  Gotta love the SUPPORT we get here.

I did just turn that off, and will test later.  Thank you.

Course now I have a new problem and will probably start a new thread.  Now my Google Now keeps having sign in errors.  Whether on Wi-Fi or on Data.  Tried to turn it off to see if that would work and now can't turn it back on.  I've never had this much trouble with a phone.  And don't get me wrong, I love the Galaxy Phones, am really thinking this is more of Verizon and all their bloatware and turning features off that messes up our phones!

0 Likes
kidjedi

Same issue.  MMS won't download (doesn't matter if it's network or wifi).  I don't have power saving on, and I don't have background sync turned off.  My problem is, even if I click download, the MMS won't download.  The aren't huge.  30MB is the largest I've received.  Nothing downloads. VERY ANNOYING.  There had better be a fix.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm truly sorry about your messaging issues kidjedi. I know how frustrating this can be. Have you tried deleting all old and long messaging threads you no longer need and power cycling? Does your phone have the most recent software update?

KinquanaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
mcdeb

I am suddenly having a problem downloading pictures and video in emails and on facebook when on wifi at my home. I don't use data at home bcuz we have wifi. Problem started approximately a week ago. What gives?

Agsin, prior to a week or so ago, I had no issues using wifi.

0 Likes
Outlaw621

Make sure Mobile Data is turned on. You can check this by pulling down your notifications than select the "properties" button (square icon next to settings icon on top right of notification window).

0 Likes