Added a new iphone 5c to my account and it used 6GB of data in 10 days...anyone ever have this happen? Bad SIM card ?
m_beimesch

does snapchat and twitter use up that much data?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Added a new iphone 5c to my account and it used 6GB of data in 10 days...anyone ever have this happen?  Bad SIM card ?
conniecmc1955
Enthusiast - Level 2

This happen to my husbands phone.It wasn't a new add on. Just out of the blue it used data like that. We called customer service and they had to do a complete reset on his phone.If the phone was new I think I would insist they give a a replacement,if it did that from the start.

0 Likes
Re: Added a new iphone 5c to my account and it used 6GB of data in 10 days...anyone ever have this happen?  Bad SIM card ?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

m.beimesch, good morning!

This would alarm me as well. So let's work on this together to find out what is going on. How long ago did you get the device? Twitter wouldn't use that much data in 6 days. With snapchat that could use some data but it would be very hard to use 6GB in 10 days. Does the person that use this line list to iTunes Radio, Slacker, Iheartradio or Pandora? Is there any kind of streaming videos on the phone? Last question, is the phone connected to Wi-Fi at all during the day? If not, that could be one thing that can help save data during the month. Please keep us posted.

KevinR_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

Re: Added a new iphone 5c to my account and it used 6GB of data in 10 days...anyone ever have this happen? Bad SIM card ?
pspaur
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same thing just happened to me with a new Jetpack.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

pspaur, Good Morning!

I am so glad that you are reaching out to us! How long have you had the Jetpack? How many devices do you connect to your jetpack at once? Do you leave the Jetpack when the device is not being used? Please keep me posted.

KevinR_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

Re: Added a new iphone 5c to my account and it used 6GB of data in 10 days...anyone ever have this happen? Bad SIM card ?
MelFuhrmo
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is an issue with MANY iPhone 5c users! My Verizon bill has been insane since we purchased an iPhone 5c for our daughter for Christmas.  And, NO, she is not using it any differently than she used her 4s; she is not video streaming; she is not snapchatting, she is not doing anything that you would think would cause this crazy increase in data usuage.  We went from an average of 10-12 GB per month to around 20-25 GB Jan-Feb and 31 GB this month!!! that is insane.  I am telling you that if you Google iPhone 5c - this is the 1st thing that pops up... data usage problems with iPhone 5c... I am so tired of the run around from Verizon - giving everyone these generic solutions to the problem - I am sorry - something is not right.  Yes, I can monitor her usage, which I do; yes, we can delete apps, turn off cellular usage, turn of LTE, only allow certain apps to use cellular data, etc. etc. etc... but what is the point in having a Smartphone if you have to turn EVERYTHING OFF???!!!  She used all of our data in the first week of our plan - I have gone to the store, I have called customer service and have been given the same absurd answers/solutions.  I have been a Verizon customer for almost 12 years... I am ready to leave Verizon and they will loose the $300+ per month I am giving them of my hard earned $$!  I am so scared to see my bill this month - I can only imagine what it is costing me for Verizon to hide their heads in the sand and deny there is a problem with these phones.  I am waiting for the class action law suit that is going to come from this! Someone needs to put a stop to this.  I want answers, solutions, and i mean REAL answers!!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MelFuhrmo,

Oh my goodness that is a lot of data! It sounds like you have been through a lot with this. Let's make sure that we get everything under control for you and your daughter. Have you reset your daughter's phone as if it is a new iPhone and not signed back into her iCloud or iTunes information? By not signing back in it will not remember anything from previously. Run it for a couple of days to see how the data usage is.

Have you deleted the wifi connection and readded it? You stated that you turn off cellular data when she is not using it which is great.

Have we replaced the SIM card with her device? That would be one of the last things that we do but if you have been through everything else and it is not working then we would look at the SIM card.

I hope by trying these different things we can help with your data usage.

RobinD_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
MelFuhrmo
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have not reset the phone… I am concerned (and so is she) about loosing all of her contacts, info, etc.  We have not replaced the SIM card - that is the first anyone has suggested that.  Only suggestions I get are the generic, "turn off cellular data, monitor her usage, etc."

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MelFuhrmo,

We can understand not wanting to lose anything important. If she has run iCloud and saved everything through the iCloud and/or she has synced with iTunes she will be good. I will say we encourage her to do that first. Then we encourage her to restore the phone. Once the restore was done she will say that she does not have a backup. Run it bare for a few days and see how the data goes. If data usage returns to normal then we know that it is something with an application.

We understand how this can be frustrating but let's work towards a resolution together on this.

RobinD_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
jrmiller720
Enthusiast - Level 1

My daughter’s iphone 5C is burning excessive data and several times it’s been in the middle of the night when I know she’s in bed. Even if she was awake and on her phone, it’s connected to wifi. She has historically used the least amount of data out of our shared plan and this month alone she’s the highest user. I’ve had this problem with Verizon for a long time now. There are times I know I’m connected to wifi or sleeping or both and my phone will show its using data. Verizon tells me it’s not possible but I know it’s happening.

0 Likes