Sending mms files (pictures) with LG G2
csahaynes
Enthusiast - Level 2

I cannot send or receive mms picture files via text message while using wireless, only with data turned on.  I have seen people say this is how it is, yet my co-worker was able to do it today right in front of me with her G2.  Was that a fluke, or am I missing something?  Is this a problem unique to the G2?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Sending mms files (pictures) with LG G2
Not applicable

No fluke. Your friend had data on.

The picture messages don't just send over WiFi. Cellular data must be on. Sorry

Good Luck

View solution in original post

Not applicable

No fluke. Your friend had data on.

The picture messages don't just send over WiFi. Cellular data must be on. Sorry

Good Luck

csahaynes
Enthusiast - Level 2

We were experimenting with the issue and she said the data was turned off.  She is pretty tech savy, so I assumed she had it off.  I may have to re try the experiment.  Why does this issue exist on the G2?

0 Likes
Not applicable

I went and took my wife's LG G2 and sent a MMS to my device (iPhone) with cellular on. I then turned it off.

It did not send. I then turned her cellular back on and it sent. I could do screen shots.

At present only text can go without cellular on. Once I change to MMS I have to have it on for it to send.

Good Luck

csahaynes
Enthusiast - Level 2

One other item I just thought of.  Her G2 is on T mobile.  Is this an issue only on Verizon?

0 Likes
Not applicable

I am going to think it should not make a difference. Then again iphones on Sprint & Verizon cannot talk and surf at the same time as they can on AT&T and T-Mobile. Could be that because they use GSM?

Verizon and Sprint use CDMA technology.

So you may be correct.

Good Luck

csahaynes
Enthusiast - Level 2

I thought I would update you.  It is indeed a Verizon issue.  We did the test again.  My co-worker actually has two G2's.  One with T-Mobile, one with Verizon.  The T-mobile one sends/receives pictures just fine via wireless, the verizon one would not.  At least now I have it all figured out.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'd like to clear any confusion regarding pictures messages and cellular data for you csahaynes! While you can send and receive text messages with data turned off, cellular data must be enabled for picture messages to be sent/received.

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
LGUserG2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Not sure if your problem was resolved or not, but if not, here's how I fixed the same problem.  All worked fine until Android 4.4 (KitKat) was pushed.  Once KitKat was pushed, the stock messaging app stopped handling attachments, sending or receiving.  I switched to Hangouts instead of the stock messaging app.  That worked for about a week, then that stopped.  I ended up performing a factory reset, and that fixed the issue...for a week.  After three factory resets, I went to the Verizon store for help.  Long story short, I was sent a new phone after trying a number of software changes, removing Google+ (because there apparently is a known problem with the LG G2, KitKat, and Google+), using Verizon Messaging, and replacing the sim card.  I was told not to accept the KitKat update when I got the new phone and to NOT update Google+ . 

I got the new phone...and it was preloaded with KitKat.  So much for not accepting that update.  I ignored the Google+ updates, and MMS worked just fine...for 3 days.  Remembering that the tech suggested that Google+ might be the problem, I cleared the Google+ cache, deleted the Google+ stored data, disabled the app, and restarted the phone.  Since doing that, everything has been working just fine.  I also realized that the Google Photo app is part of Google+, and I was using that app instead of Photos as my primary app to manage photos.  That included the auto backup feature for my photos to Google+.  All of this makes me suspect that the Photo app and auto backup feature may be the culprits. 

JimmyDean18

I have data on and I can't send or receive pictures via text. It worked for one week now not so much.....

0 Likes