Lumia 928 doesn't use WiFi even though it is connected full strength
sa_i_tan

My Nokia Lumia 928 has the following firmware:

OS Version: 8.0.10517.150

Firmware revision number: 3051.40000.1352.0058

Radio software version: 2.0.092073.3

Problem description: For about a month now, the phone stops using WiFi after few minutes (5 minutes to 20 minutes) of not using the phone. The WiFi connection is still "connected" and within few feet of the router in a straight line - no obstacles. It instead tries in vain to use WiFi for several seconds and then uses cellular data. Some apps just bail because of the delay without giving a chance to cellular data switch. I found it more predictable to turn off WiFi radio and then turn it back on and use the apps. Needless to say it is very annoying and slow just to get a small transaction out the way.

It used to work well until a month ago.

At the same time there are many other WiFi devices which all work flawlessly with the same router.

Does any one have same situation?

Any recommendations? Please help.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Lumia 928 doesn't use WiFi even though it is connected full strength
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you! I appreciate the information that you were able to provide. I can understand the annoyance that this concern may bring. Have you removed the Wi-Fi network and then go back to re-add it? You may complete this by heading into Settings > Wi-Fi > Select and Hold the Wi-Fi Network > Select delete

YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes
joeuser2000
Enthusiast - Level 1

OS v. 8.0.105.17.150

Firmware rev. # 3051.40000.1352.0058

Radio software v. 2.0.092073.3

For about a week now, the Wifi will not stay connected. As many of the report have been made here also state. I have tried removing the network & re-adding it, a soft reset, & a full reset. It's NOT my router - as other devices have NO issues. I have also learned of many reports of this happening sporadically with the entire Nokia Lumia 9xx line over the last 6 months. Nothing seems to address the issue short of replacing the phone. This really appears to be a hardware issue, esp. given the multiple reports on various networks and over the nine hundred line. How will this issue addressed?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for keeping us posted joeuser2000! We definitely will do everything we can to ensure you're staying connected! There has not been a reported defect by the manufacturer with the Wi Fi so lets dive deeper. You have completed the steps we normally recommend and since it's happening with multiple networks, we'll need to look into replacement options. Please accept my follow request and send a Direct Message to access the account.

AshleyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
davidbrewington

I am also having the same problem.  What is the solution to this problem?  If someone could email me or message me I'd appreciate it.  This is very frustrating.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I regret to hear that you're also experiencing the issue, davidbrewington. Does toggling wi-fi bring back the connection? Do you seem to lose Wifi when the device goes to "sleep" or is it as your using the device?

YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
davidbrewington

It's as I'm using the device.  I'll get an error saying that the network isn't available (or something along those lines).

I can turn it off and back on and it seems to work for a short period of time.  I can say that it's been better this week,than last week. Is it possible Nokia did some type of update? 

0 Likes
sa_i_tan

Hello Verizon Support

As I mentioned, toggling WiFi restores for a few minutes and then the same problem. The problem happens after several minutes of inactivity.

What are my options? Can I get the device replaced? I purchased it in May 2013.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello sa "i" tan, a working phone is super important! The last resort option is to run a hard reset which will get the phone back to factory settings. You will want to backup contacts and pictures as this will erase everything on the phone. View steps here: http://vz.to/1kTJnyp The phone will have a 1 year manufacturer's warranty from the purchase date. Was there any physical or water damage on the phone? You can contact us via these channels to review account specifics: http://vz.to/19p59Ec Keep us posted!

WiltonA_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport 

0 Likes
westtr

I too have been having this problem, but for more than 6 months. It first started after I did my first update. I also had this issue with my previous phone, an HTC Incredible. So I know it is NOT the device and I seriously doubt both Microsoft and Google are making the same mistake. Makes me question what the carrier is doing in the update and if it is causing the issue.

0 Likes