2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 10, 2014 12:59 PM by dlcj21 RSS

Clarification on 4 lines with 10GB Data 45 per line

dlcj21

So I currently have 4 phones (3 smart/1 basic).  My 3 smart phones are on unlimited data plans.  I heard a commercial on the radio on the way to work today that said a family of 4 could get unlimited talk/text and share 10GB of data for $45 a month ($180 a month).  My current plan costs me around $260 a month after taxes and fees so switching to the new plan would save me about $80 a month and 10 GB while it's not unlimited is around the right amount that I probably wouldn't miss having unlimited.

I briefly chatted with a sales rep online and they informed me that I first need to switch over to the more everything plan so I'd be giving up my unlimited data.  That's fine but I was hoping to get a little clarification first.  4 smart phones and 10 GB of data is $260 a month via more everything before taxes/fees. After I switch to more everything, I could then upgrade my phones via verizon edge and then be eligible to get the 4 lines and 10 GB of data for $180 a month.  Lets say 4 phones at $599 a piece full retail.  Spread that out over 24 months and that's just under $100 a month for new devices.  That would put me at $280 a month for 24 months.  I'd actually be spending $20 more a month plus fees for 2 years before I actually saw any savings.

I'm currently eligible for an upgrade on all 4 of my lines.  The part I'm confused about is when I sign up for edge do I have to trade in my current phones which I already own? Or does the trade in only apply to devices once I'm on edge?  I could probably sell my current phones on the open market for around $1200 and if I applied that money to the new devices, then I'd really only be paying 100 more a month for a year before the phones are paid off.  That's ok to have the latest and greatest devices I guess, then the 80 savings would kick in.

What happens next?  What happens if I decide not to upgrade after 2 years?  Do I continue to keep the edge pricing for my plan or am I bumped back up to more everything unless I edge up my phone again?

At first glance it seemed very attractive to switch to the new plans but if I have to trade in my current phones and purchase new ones at full retail, I really wouldn't see savings until after I paid off the new devices and if at the end of those 2 years, the plan pricing changes if I don't edge up my devices again, then I really wouldn't ever see the savings.

Is this how others see it or am I missing something?

• 1. Re: Clarification on 4 lines with 10GB Data 45 per line
          rcschnoor

dlcj21 wrote:

So I currently have 4 phones (3 smart/1 basic).  My 3 smart phones are on unlimited data plans.  I heard a commercial on the radio on the way to work today that said a family of 4 could get unlimited talk/text and share 10GB of data for $45 a month ($180 a month).  My current plan costs me around $260 a month after taxes and fees so switching to the new plan would save me about $80 a month and 10 GB while it's not unlimited is around the right amount that I probably wouldn't miss having unlimited.

I briefly chatted with a sales rep online and they informed me that I first need to switch over to the more everything plan so I'd be giving up my unlimited data.  That's fine but I was hoping to get a little clarification first.  4 smart phones and 10 GB of data is $260 a month via more everything before taxes/fees. After I switch to more everything, I could then upgrade my phones via verizon edge and then be eligible to get the 4 lines and 10 GB of data for $180 a month. If you purchase 4 new phones via Edge, then you get $20/month off of the smartphone line access fee. I am unsure if you get the same $20 off the line access fee of a basic phone. Something to keep in mind if you are planning to keep one of the lines as a basic phone. So if you had 4 smartphones on Edge on your More Everything plan, that would be a total of $80 for the line access fees. Add $100 for the 10 GB of data for a total of $180/month. Depending on the phones you choose to purchase with Edge, there will be the additional ~$100 in Edge payments each month to bring your monthly bill to ~$280 + taxes/fees.

Lets say 4 phones at $599 a piece full retail.  Spread that out over 24 months and that's just under $100 a month for new devices.  That would put me at $280 a month for 24 months.  I'd actually be spending $20 more a month plus fees for 2 years before I actually saw any savings. Keep in mind, once you no longer have any Edge payments, the $20/month line access fee discount will stop and your line access fees for the 4 smartphones would go back to $160/month from $80/month while on Edge.

I'm currently eligible for an upgrade on all 4 of my lines.  The part I'm confused about is when I sign up for edge do I have to trade in my current phones which I already own? Or does the trade in only apply to devices once I'm on edge?  I could probably sell my current phones on the open market for around $1200 and if I applied that money to the new devices, then I'd really only be paying 100 more a month for a year before the phones are paid off.  That's ok to have the latest and greatest devices I guess, then the 80 savings would kick in. If you are not currently under contract, you do not have to trade in your current phones.

What happens next?  What happens if I decide not to upgrade after 2 years?  Do I continue to keep the edge pricing for my plan or am I bumped back up to more everything unless I edge up my phone again? Bumped back to $40/line for the access fees. That COULD change if Verizon decides to match AT&T's continued discount, though. I have no idea what Verizon will decide to do.

At first glance it seemed very attractive to switch to the new plans but if I have to trade in my current phones and purchase new ones at full retail, I really wouldn't see savings until after I paid off the new devices and if at the end of those 2 years, the plan pricing changes if I don't edge up my devices again, then I really wouldn't ever see the savings.

Is this how others see it or am I missing something? That's how I see it. You are basically getting a discount on the line access fee which is COMPLETELY wiped out by the Edge payments. Since the line access fee discount does not continue as it does on the AT&T plan, you don't necessarily actually ever realize any actual drop in monthly payments. Seeing as people wanted these plans so that they could upgrade earlier than every 2 years, THOSE people will continue to get the $20 line access discount. For those who upgrade less often, they will not.

• 2. Re: Clarification on 4 lines with 10GB Data 45 per line
            dlcj21

Thanks for the clarification. I think I'm going to stick with what I have until the next best thing comes out.  No need to switch now while I'm happy with the devices I have since there really is no savings.