Why can't I send/rcv text attachment with Mobile Data OFF?
WalkGoodPhil
Enthusiast - Level 3

New yesterday Galaxy S4

Why can't a picture attachment in a text message be sent/received while "Mobile Data" is turned off?  Even while connected to WiFi?

A plain text message works with Mobile Data turned off.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why can't I send/rcv text attachment with Mobile Data OFF?
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

All MMS' sent/received on VZW's system require a mobile data connection, regardless of the phone.  The data used to send/receive the texts doesn't count against your data package.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Not applicable

Plain text messages are sent over 1x which is also what you use to make phone calls so that never get shut off when you shut off "mobile data". Attachments/pics are sent over 3G/4G and that is called "mobile data" thus it needs to be on to send.

0 Likes
WalkGoodPhil
Enthusiast - Level 3

Grrrr .....  I have read of other phones that will use the WiFi connection to send MMS.  Even though there are claims that MMS doesn't use any of your data plan,  you will still use some of it when you turn Mobile Data  on & off to send the MMS text.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

All MMS' sent/received on VZW's system require a mobile data connection, regardless of the phone.  The data used to send/receive the texts doesn't count against your data package.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

WalkGoodPhi, congratulations on your upgrade to a new Samsung Galaxy S4! We're so excited for you! When sending picture messages, you will need to connect to our data network since a Wi-Fi connection will interrupt the transfer of this data file. However, once you turn on data and connect to our network, this will enable that picture message to send successfully.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

WalkGoodPhil, no need to get upset. You will need to connect to our network and turn off Wi-Fi to send a picture message. However, when sending standard text, picture, or video messages; it doesn't debit data from your data allowance. I hope this information eases your frustrations.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
axel_2078
Contributor - Level 2

I'm a little confused by this.  Granted, I currently have an iPhone 4S (but want to upgrade to the Galaxy S5 once released) but when I'm at home and connected to wifi, my mobile data carrier connection is also on.  I don't have to turn off my wifi to send MMS to non-iphone users.  Are you saying that if you have an Android phone and you are connected to wifi (at home for example) and your mobile data is also turned on, that you will still have to turn off your wifi to send a MMS? Maybe I just don't know enough about Android, but that seems a bit ludicrous.

Klue
Master - Level 1

For the vast majority of Android Galaxy S4 users, Wifi does not have to be turned off to send MMS files.  What you are seeing on this site are a number of people who are having problems sending MMS files.  One of the remedies was to manually turn off Wifi to send the message. This worked for some but not for all. A properly running S4 only requires a data connection be active to send MMS files and can do so effortlessly with or without Wifi being enabled.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

axel_2078,

Great question! I know additional clarification may be needed in this case. I too, own an iPhone right now but when I had my android, I had the same experience. MMS will need to have wifi disabled to successfully send.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes
April2014

RE: Why can't I download text attachments with my mobile data on when it use to automatically do it before for me? I have the samsung galaxy legend.

0 Likes