Why is my iPad Mini using data while on wi-fi?
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

Just purchased an iPad Mini 4 days ago. It has not left my house. It has been connected to my WIFI since the day I purchased it ( i.e. 4 days ago). How is it that my Verizon account shows 93mb of data usage on the iPad. I have always been told that when WIFI is on and connected it takes priority over cellular data and therefor there is no data usage. Please explain.

Also I have tried to find an email address fro Verizon customer support fro this issue and I can't find one. If there is one please provide it here.

Thanks, richie

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: iPad Mini Usage on WIFI
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Congratulations!  on your recent iPad purchase! We definitely want you to enjoy using it and want to clarify data usage. If your wi-fi connection is lost or dropped, the iPad will revert to our cellular network. You can verify data usage directly from your tablet by accessing Settigns>Cellular>Cellular Data Usage. Here, you can turn off cellular data to ensure your iPad only works while on wi-fi. I apologize, we no longer have an email option to contact us but we're happy to help via Twitter or Facebook if you prefer.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Congratulations!  on your recent iPad purchase! We definitely want you to enjoy using it and want to clarify data usage. If your wi-fi connection is lost or dropped, the iPad will revert to our cellular network. You can verify data usage directly from your tablet by accessing Settigns>Cellular>Cellular Data Usage. Here, you can turn off cellular data to ensure your iPad only works while on wi-fi. I apologize, we no longer have an email option to contact us but we're happy to help via Twitter or Facebook if you prefer.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

AdaS_VZW,

Thanks for responding.

My WIFI is very strong and I never loose or drop the connection so there is something else going on that causes not only my iPad but my iPhone as well to use cellular data in my house when it shows a WIFI connection icon. Any idea what it could be ? 

Also you said   >>we no longer have an email option to contact us<< ,  how about a toll free phone option ?

Thanks, richie

0 Likes
Not applicable

1-800-922-0204 toll free

*611 from your cell phone. Also free.

Certain functions on the iPad and iPhone have to use a small amount of cellular data. On my iPhone in the course of a billing period I see around a few megabytes not gigabytes. Some months just kilobytes. I use WiFi constantly while at home and at friends or relatives homes. Even though I have unlimited data my usage is very low and only uses cellular data when I am out and about shopping or bar hopping. Again very little used.

I always turn off cellular data roaming on the iPhone and only update over WiFi when available.

Good Luck

richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

>>Certain functions on the iPad and iPhone have to use a small amount of cellular data.<<

If "cellular data" is turned off while using wifi will it continue to use a small amount of it ?  If not, does that degrade the connection while on wifi ?

0 Likes
Not applicable

richie72846 wrote:

>>Certain functions on the iPad and iPhone have to use a small amount of cellular data.<<

If "cellular data" is turned off while using wifi will it continue to use a small amount of it ?  If not, does that degrade the connection while on wifi ?

No it has no effect on WiFi. Occasionally like I said the Verizon LTE will flicker, I personally don't think it is using cellular to any great degree. Like I said it is so miniscule as far as cellular data use per month. kilobytes and a few megabytes.

Good Luck

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the additional details richie72846. Have you tested the devices on more than one wifi source. If it's happening on more than one wireless device in the same location, it could be the wifi connection itself. We are always happy to assist you here or via Social Media. If you prefer phone support, our toll free number is 800-922-0204.

JonathanK_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes