MMS not working, Moto G, Verizon Prepaid 15 days after port from Straight Talk - suspected port issue
helikyler
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey everybody - ANYBODY!!!

I'm going blue in the face trying to solve this issue. I was a Verizon Wireless post-paid customer for 4 years then I ported out to save some $. Went to Straight Talk on a Verizon tower CDMA phone, but it was old and I wanted something more snazzy again. So when I saw the Moto G on Verizon Prepaid with a 1GB plan, I jumped at it! I ported back to Verizon but this time as a prepaid customer.

It has been TWO WEEKS + 1 DAY and I still cannot receive MMS messages (no matter if they have pictures attached or not).

Questions: Is there anything that can be done to re-submit my port? Can Verizon verify or cooperate with Straight Talk to remedy this?

So that nobody has to waste their time trying to help me for nothing, below are the details of my situation:

Timeline:

- Feb 7: initiated port from Straight Talk to Verizon Prepaid at the Verizon store in Redding, CA

- Feb 16: filed a ticket with prepaid tech support via phone regarding the issue, they had me try a factory reset (sucked, no help)

- Feb 20: after no response or update on my ticket, called again. They tried to help, suggested I go in and swap the phone out. We back to store and swapped phone this day.

- Feb 22: Went back in and spend another 3 HOURS in Verizon store while they tried the stuff below, even activated my line on an iPhone 4, still no MMS.

Symptoms:

- Any time I get an MMS, my phone (Motorola Moto G on Android 4.4.2 KitKat) gives me  a message saying message failed to download

- Sending messages works most of the time

- Sometimes I get the first half of a long text message that turned into MMS but didn't have any file attached, but the message cuts off at the limit of SMS and I never get the 2nd half

What IS Working:

- 3G data works fine (web, email, streaming, everything)

- Voice works great

- WiFi

- EVERYTHING ELSE but

What Verizon and I have tried:

• Verified Android up-to-date (4.4.2)
  • Verified messaging software up to date
  • - Factory reset (multiple times)
  • - Re-programming via *228
  • - Swapped out the phone device for a new one ("DOA"), to no avail (it's not a phone problem)
  • - Activated a prepaid iPhone 4 at the Verizon store on my line and it still could not receive MMS (definitely NOT the device)
  • - Blocked and unblocked texts and MMS on my account / "reset" the feature on my phone
  • - Tried using Google Hangouts to handle texts (fixes nothing, only allows pictures to be send when going from Hangouts to Hangouts, not MMS)
  • - Turned off Wifi to be sure only 3G radio was connected for data
  • - Turned on auto-retrieve on message settings as well as enabled retrieving while roaming
  • - Checked my signal and coverage (I'm in a mid-sized Northern CA town, it's not coverage)
  • - Made sure my former Straight Talk phone is powered off AND removed from Straight Talk account

Here are my Curiosities/Suspicions:

- Maybe the port didn't get done right or completely. The Verizon Port Center had to call Smart Talk and muscle the approval through. Could something have been held on to by doing this method?

- My Straight Talk phone (re-flashed Droid X2 on Eclipse 2.3 ROM) might have been ON when the port occurred. Could this mess something up?

- The Straight Talk line could have some days left on it before the period I paid for expired. Maybe it won't work until that runs out? (Shouldn't though)

What I'm Going to Try Next:

Using the Tweakker app to manually set the APN settings in the Moto G.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: MMS not working, Moto G, Verizon Prepaid 15 days after port from Straight Talk - suspected port issue
helikyler
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unfortunately the truth is prepaid support is not very well trained and was

not much help Smiley Sad

My issue was solved ultimately not by prepaid support but upper level

support in NJ (or NY, not sure).

The problem was that my line was provisioned as having a 1X device (which I

never had). So even though we tried switching the device to an iPhone and

reprogramming it didn't matter. Any incoming MMS were simply discarded by

the system and all I would get were the silent SMS messages that ping my

phone to check the MMS server, but nothing was held to be retrieved.

If you are on VZW (pre or post paid) and having this problem, ask support

to check the "Mobile Type" and ensure its not set to 1X.

On Feb 25, 2014 5:25 AM, "Verizon Wireless Customer Support" <

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: MMS not working, Moto G, Verizon Prepaid 15 days after port from Straight Talk - suspected port issue
Not applicable

Sounds like a Straight Talk issue. When was your ST time scheduled to end?

0 Likes
helikyler
Enthusiast - Level 2

Pretty sure I ported into ST on Friday January 24... So day 30 should be tomorrow. Might magically start working on Monday!

UPDATE: I tried the Tweakker app. I can tell it's a great tool. Unfortunately, adding or changing APNs seems to be blocked/disabled on the Moto G for Verizon. I put all the APN info I found on other forums in and after saving it still didn't show the new APN. Not to mention you can't even get to the APN settings by typical means (settings menu).

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there helikyler, I apologize about the difficulties you are experiencing with your messaging. Unfortunatley, we do not have access to Pre-Pay account. However, we want to ensure this issue is resolved and you are able to send and receive MMS Messages. For further assistance, please contact our Pre-paid Customer Service Team at 877-777-5759.

Thank You,
MichelleL_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
helikyler
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unfortunately the truth is prepaid support is not very well trained and was

not much help Smiley Sad

My issue was solved ultimately not by prepaid support but upper level

support in NJ (or NY, not sure).

The problem was that my line was provisioned as having a 1X device (which I

never had). So even though we tried switching the device to an iPhone and

reprogramming it didn't matter. Any incoming MMS were simply discarded by

the system and all I would get were the silent SMS messages that ping my

phone to check the MMS server, but nothing was held to be retrieved.

If you are on VZW (pre or post paid) and having this problem, ask support

to check the "Mobile Type" and ensure its not set to 1X.

On Feb 25, 2014 5:25 AM, "Verizon Wireless Customer Support" <

0 Likes
Viz_525
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was having the same problem with my Moto G (prepaid plan). This was the simple fix:

1. Go to Settings

2. Make sure Wi-Fi is turned OFF.

3. Restart your phone.

4. Go back to your message and download again.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes
Re: MMS not working Moto G Verizon Prepaid 15 days after port from Straight Talk
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi. We would be happy to assist you with your concern. Please private message us for further assistance.    *Mabell

0 Likes