2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 30, 2009 7:51 PM by antyc1 RSS

Adding Canada and/or Mexico for Vacations!

antyc1

Well, yesterday I got an EXTENSIVE course on how to get either Canada or Mexico cell service for when I go on vacation.  COULD THIS BE ANY HARDER?  PROBABLY NOT!  WHY doesn't Verizon GET WITH THE PROGRAM and just simply allow you to add either Canada or Mexico for a SIMPLE FLAT RATE CHARGE...RATHER than having to TOTALLY SWITCH your plan and then SWITCH your plan back when you return.  I have a family share plan which means I EITHER have to MIGRATE the WHOLE GROUP of us from plan to plan to accommodate a vacation...OR, I HAVE TO PEEL OFF one phone from the plan and then rejoin it after a vacation!  AND HEAVENS HELP YOU if more than one person on your plan is vacationing, i.e., one to Canada and one to Mexico...IT'S JUST A MANAGEMENT/COORDINATION NIGHTMARE!

I have NO PROBLEM with Verizon's suggestion/need to have the inclusion of either Canada or Mexico coincide with a BILLING DATE, i.e., back date your addition to your prior billing date and have it in affect till your next billing date.  BUT, I can't help but think that Verizon would be DOLLARS AHEAD, AND AHEAD OF OTHER CARRIERS BY LEAPS AND BOUNDS...if you could just call and add Canada to your plan, for all phones on your plan, OR EVEN FOR ONE phone on your plan for a month, WITHOUT SWITCHING YOUR PLAN PACKAGE.  It would be wonderful if I could call and ADD CANADA TO MY HUSBAND'S PHONE FOR A MONTH...AND AT THE SAME TIME ADD MEXICO TO MY PHONE FOR ATHE SAME MONTH, while leaving the two remaining phones just are they were..functioning normally on our plan.  A 40-50 dollar charge to EASILY DO THIS for a month is NO BIG DEAL...BUT TRYING TO FIGURE IT OUT AND SWITCH PLANS BACK AND FORTH IS A BIG DEAL! 

WAKE UP VERIZON!  THIS WOULD BE SUCH A HUGE CUSTOMER SERVICE KUDO FOR V...AND SUCH A SERVICE TO YOUR CUSTOMERS...(NOT to mention, MUCH MORE ATTRACTIVE to consumers, and PROBABLY a NICE increase in V's revenue's to boot!)...SOOO, BOTTOM LINE...ONCE AGAIN (AND HEY...my husband and I have been doing these trips several times a year now for the LAST 20 YEARS) we will just FORGET ABOUT OUR CELLS for the time we're gone...

SOOO, FOR NOW..BOTTOM LINE...WE LOSE THE CONVENIENCE OF CELL SERVICE WHILE ON INTERNATIONAL VACATIONS...AND VERIZON LOSES ADDITIONAL REVENUE!  JUST NOT WORTH THE HASSLE!  HMMMM, WONDER IF THERE ARE OTHER CARRIERS OUT THERE WHO ARE A BIT MORE USER FRIENDLY ON HELPING OUT TRAVELERS??? MAY BE SOMETHING I NEED TO START INVESTIGATING!

• 1. Re: Adding Canada and/or Mexico for Vacations!
          aibrean

This is how you solve your problem:

You rent a global phone from Verizon. It's a $50 deposit and like $4 a day (or $7 a day for a PDA/smartphone). Yes, you still get charged for use overseas but the per minute cost is significantly less.

Granted, I went to Canada and got my plan switched and then switched back. No big deal. Make sure you get Global data on it if you have a smartphone.

• 2. Re: Adding Canada and/or Mexico for Vacations!
            antyc1

THANKS...I know there are some options... buf all a PAIN in the patoot...YET ANOTHER HASSLE when trying to get ready to go on vacation...JUST SHOULD BE AN EASIER way to get coverage and NOT be switching plans, or renting other phones, yada, yada... VERIZON, YOU'RE MISSING THE BOAT ON THIS DEAL!