1 2 3 Previous Next 45 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2014 6:41 PM by jkmsc RSS

AT&T - 4 phones with10g data = $160 monthly ; Verizon can't compete

mkjudge98

I'm a long time Verizon customer but I recently received a notice that AT&T is openly offering 4 smart phones with unlimited talk and text and 10g of data for 160 per month.  That pricing crushes most carriers especially Verizon.  I would prefer to stay with Verizon but at a savings of over $100 per month, there is no contest in pricing, I must make the switch.

I called Verizon in the hopes that they could do something, even a small to mid-size discount might have changed my mind about making the switch but customer rep indicated that there was nothing they could do.

It's a shame especially when they are charging me $30 per month for a basic flip-style phone which has no real features when compared to a $40 fee for smart phone.  For those older style phones, the access fee should practically be free.

Anyway, it looks like it is time to change and at these prices, I think other Verizon Wireless customers should take a hard look at their bill.

• 1. Re: AT&T - 4 phones with10g data = $160 monthly ; Verizon can't compete
          jroeder

What exactly does the promo for AT&T say? I have family that have them and I would like to tell them about it.

AT&T charges $40 per smartphone with their share plans just like Verizon so that's $160 for the access. Meaning they would be offering 10GB of data for free............

It would cost more using Straightalk for 4 phones.

I would read the fine print on that promo.......that doesn't sound very believable

• 2. Re: AT&T - 4 phones with10g data = $160 monthly ; Verizon can't compete

This is unlimited data all lines. It is $5 more peer line than what you are comparing, but unlimited is way better than 10 GB of data.

Try T-Mobile at

4 Lines Plan

$ 180 per month

Plus taxes, fees and monthly device payment

Line 1 / $ 70 month

• Unlimited talk, text and web
            • Unlimited high-speed data on our network. Up to 2.5GB of Smartphone Mobile HotSpot (SMH) service.
            • International roaming
            Line 2 / $ 50 month
            • Unlimited high-speed data on our network. Up to 2.5GB of Smartphone Mobile HotSpot (SMH) service.
            • International roaming
            Line 3 / $ 30 month
            • International roaming
            Line 4 / $ 30 month
            • International roaming

Good Luck
            • 3. Re: AT&T - 4 phones with10g data = $160 monthly ; Verizon can't compete
              mkjudge98

The AT&T prices indicate that they were recently cut, apparently a little bit of a price war is breaking out which is good for the customer.  Promo indicates that this new pricing is approximately $40 cheaper than earlier.  I already told a friend of mine and he called and was switched over and received the pricing.

• 4. Re: AT&T - 4 phones with10g data = $160 monthly ; Verizon can't compete
                jroeder

Thank you, that's good to know

• 5. Re: AT&T - 4 phones with10g data = $160 monthly ; Verizon can't compete
                  mkjudge98

T-Mobile would be cheaper and such but unfortunately in my area, T-Mobile's coverage is horrible.

• 6. Re: AT&T - 4 phones with10g data = $160 monthly ; Verizon can't compete
                    rcschnoor

I think there is quite a bit about that price which you are leaving out.

This is a price without a 2 yr contract AND you have to pay full price for the phones. You can also spread the cost of the phones over 2 years.

If you get 4 phones at full retail cost, that is an upfront cost of around $2000. If you spread the cost over 2 years, then the cost of your monthly bill will be increased by ~ $100/month, so the total monthly bill comes to about $260.

Yes, the monthly price looks attractive, but MOST people will not switch 4 lines over and readily fork over $2000 for new phones. If you spread out the cost over 2 years, then your montly cost will be $260, NOT $160.

If you get subsidized phones, you do not get that $160/month cost for the service, your monthly cost for the service would be $260 instead.

You have to read the fine print.

• 7. Re: AT&T - 4 phones with10g data = $160 monthly ; Verizon can't compete
                      mkjudge98

You are correct in all of your statements except if you can get the phones cheaper which I and most people can and you also have to look at this from the long-term.  2 years is nothing when it comes to phone plans these days and I am not one to constantly upgrade, so the cost savings long-term will be huge.

• 8. Re: AT&T - 4 phones with10g data = $160 monthly ; Verizon can't compete
                        rcschnoor

From looking at these forums, though, most people want to upgrade after LESS THAN 2 years. For THESE people, they would NEVER get down to that $160/month teaser price. They would be paying the $260/month. If upgrading before 2 years, they would have to pay off their current phone before they can get another and STILL be paying $260/month after picking out 4 new phones.

Yes, for those who can make a phone last MORE than 2 years would then be realizing that savings after they hit the 2 year mark. Many people can't or don't want to do that, though.

Edit: As the retail price of cell phones come down as they SEEM to be doing currently, this may be more attractive to a growing number of people.

• 9. Re: AT&T - 4 phones with10g data = $160 monthly ; Verizon can't compete
                          mkjudge98

As to the cheaper phones, I ask you - ever buy a used car?  Most people at one point have.  Why pay full price for a new phone when you can get a perfectly fine, great condition used phone for half or even less than half especially if you don't have to have the latest and greatest.  Iphone 4's still work great and are practically free anywhere you look.

Paying full price for a phone whether up-front or as a cost spread is silly.

Same logic goes for most items - everything can be negotiated - at least apparently everything other than Verizon prices.

1 2 3 Previous Next