Switched to Moto X - data from 1GB to 8GB! What am I doing wrong?!
gretchenrd
Enthusiast - Level 1

I used to always use 1GB - then I got this new phone and I am needing 8GB.  No one seems to be able to help.  The only thing I can see is that in my corporate exchange email, I can see all of our email signatures, which were available as attachments on my previous DROID.  I don't know how to keep them from being downloaded and I'm pretty sure this is responsible for the huge increase in data usage which conveniently started when I bought my new phone.

Re: Switched to Moto X - data from 1GB to 8GB! What am I doing wrong?!
Not applicable

You say "conveniently" as if this is some sort of evil plan by Verizon. Maybe because it's new phone with different settings. If you look in Settings then press Mobile data and scroll down it will show you EXACTLY what is using the data. Verizon is not trying to deliberately make you use more data. We have 3 new phones since September and our data usage has not gone up and stays under 2.5 GB a month and that's with 5 smartphones. Obviously there is some setting in your e-mail you needs to change if that is indeed the issue.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

gretchenrd, usage may change when you're having fun on your new device. However, your device will use larger amounts of data when syncing a corporate e-mail account. For a better understanding on how data usage is calculated, click http://vz.to/KBmvR7

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
inthedo

My husband and I switched over to Moto X in December and our data went from 4 GB a month with my Palm (used it as mobile hotspot mainly) and now we are at 10 GB a month!  So there is something wrong with data collecting.  We have not changed anything with our usage, as a matter of fact, I am using it less because I keep racking up data usage!  I have also noticed alot of other posts stating similar issues.  So how can we fix this??  I cannot keep paying close to $200 a month for doing less than I did before.  At this rate, it would be cheaper for me to buy out of my contract and go to another carrier.

Please help with this.  We have been with Verizon for a very long time and don't want to switch.

Thank you so much!

Jeannine

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi, Jeannine,

I have the Moto X. One place that data can rack up some usage is updating apps. Open Play Store. In the top right, open settings. Under Auto Update Apps, click and check to update only when connected to WiFi. That will help a lot with usage. I also keep WiFi on and connect to WiFi any chance I can. In your phone's main settings, you can check under data usage how much a particular app is using data. I hope this helps a little.

Doc

inthedo

HI Doc,

Thank you for the recommendations, but I did do that on the first day knowing this is what the apps do.  There really is no reason why.  The difference between my phone and this one is the new one is 4G, which should not make a difference except for speed of information.  I hope Verizon can contact me to fix this!!

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Jeanine,

I hope you get it figured out. We have 3 Moto Xs on our 6gb plan, and used only 0.88 GB last month for all 3 total. Let me know what you find out.

Thanks,

Doc

inthedo

Oh my goodness!  I don't know why we are using so much more than you with 3!  We do use it for mobile hotspot, which is what I was doing before with my other phone.  Even my phone usage(not including hotspot) is at least 1 GB of data.  We have been tracking all the info on the setting for data usage for the last month.  I have spent so many hours trouble shooting and there is no rhyme or reason to it.  Do you know how I can contact someone to get back to me?  I've called but they don't have any answers.

If you go onto the data calculations on their website, unless you are streaming movies, I should only be using 2 GB a month per phone.  It just doesn't make sense!  I think the next thing I may need to do is swap out my SIM card.....

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

Do you think maybe using your phone as a hotspot is using up a lot of your data? Since this phone is 4G, it might be using more data. Just guessing here.

Doc

inthedo

Well, I used my other phone as a hotspot as well, this is and has been the way I am able to get internet, that is why I know my exact usage for hotspot monthly before and after we switched.  It should not make a difference in amount of data used, only speed, however, here is another caveat, we only get a 3G signal where I live.....

0 Likes