Starting today (2/4/14) Gmail and Google Play Store will not open
jmajacobs

Both applications give the "Unfortunately, Google Play Store has stopped working." or "Unfortunately, Gmail has stopped working." I do not know if anything has updated in the last day or not. Gmail will give me the notifications of new messages but when I tap them, the error appears and I get nothing. I also get notifications for app updates but when I tap them, the Play Store starts to open and then displays the message that's all. I can only click OK to close. I've tried reboots, clearing caches and data, and nothing. Other apps seem to work fine. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

0 Likes
Re: Starting today (2/4/14) Gmail and Google Play Store will not open
jmajacobs

Also, Contacts won't open either - with the same message. I can use Chrome to go to Gmail.com and open my email that way but it's a clunky process. For some reason, the built-in Google processes - Gmail, Google Play Store, Contacts - are all busted.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's get you back up and running, jmajacobs. Have you recently installed any new apps or updates when this started? Please check Menu>System Settings>Google>Click account address. What are the current sync settings?

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes
jmajacobs

I don't recall installing anything new when this started. Under Google, I have my email account and under that, the sync settings show everything set to sync except for browser. It also shows under each item (App Data, Calendar, Contacts, Gmail, Google Play Books, Google Play Movies & TV, Google Play Newsstand, Google+, Google+ Photos and People details) that a sync occurred today. I still cannot open Gmail, Play Store, or Contacts without the "Unfortunately, so-and-so has stopped." I use Go Launcher but it takes me into the generic Android settings as far as I can tell. That's the environment I've been running for a couple of years.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Roger that jmajacobs! Thank you for your additional feedback regarding this issue. We would be delighted to proceed with troubleshooting. The next best option would be a full reset/restore on the device. To begin this process please visit http://vz.to/1jmzAUx. Once this is completed please keep us posted, thanks!

MatthewS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
Renegade3

my daughter did a factory reset on her Bionic...and it helped for about 2 weeks....then back to same old problems......the phone (and I have the same issues!)....everything is extremely slow to respond, 98% of the time you get an error message that whatever program you are trying to open/view has stopped working.....then programs open up randomly without being selected...and we frequently are unable to answer phone calls....as we are trying...it hangs up (homescreen has stopped working do you wish to close it?) and drops the call.  when we try to call the person back...the phone will decide to call someone else entirely!  any other suggestions besides a factory reset?

0 Likes