Motorola Razr Maxx losing wifi connection
Greg_G
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm fed up with with my Motorola Razr Maxx losing its wifi connection to my home network.  I've been tolerating this problem since Android on my phone was upgraded to Jelly Bean about a year ago.  Prior to the Android upgrade I wasn't experiencing any problem.  I've had my Razr Maxx since August 2012.  I'm fed up with the problem and finally saying something because last week I received what's reported to be the final Android upgrade for the phone and the problem persists.  I'd been hoping an update would eventually solve the problem.  I'm not looking forward to tolerating this problem until my 2 year contract is up this fall.  When my contact is up and I comparison shop for phones and providers I'll definitely keep my bad experience with this Motorola phone from Verizon in mind.  Wifi is a very basic feature and there's absolutely no excuse for it not working.

Wifi may work for a day or two but after that I'm left with a non-functioning wifi connection and a gray rather than blue wifi indicator on my phone's display.  I power cycle my phone to get wifi working again but after a period of time wifi will stop working again.  Based on the other postings in the discussion forums I'm not alone in having this problem.

My router is a Linksys EA3500 using firmware version 1.1.39.145204 which is the latest version available.  This router was purchased on June 30, 2012 so it's only about 1 1/2 years old; definitely not an old worn out router than needs to be replaced.  The router also provides wifi connections for two windows laptops, two iPod touches, an iPad, a Wii, an iPhone, and a Roku.  These other eight devices have no problem maintaining a wifi connection so everything points to the problem being with the Razr Maxx.  Regardless, I tried a factory reset of the router but that didn't help the Razr Maxx's wifi problem.  I've also tried assigning the Razr Maxx a static IP rather using a DHCP address but that made no difference either.

On the Razr Maxx I told my phone to forget my wifi connection and then I rediscovered and added my wifi connection back to the phone - that didn't make any difference either.  I've gone through the boot menus and cleared the cache partition but that didn't help either.

I've tried everything that others have suggested but haven't had any success.  Any suggestions Verizon?

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Motorola Razr Maxx losing wifi connection
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Greg_G - Thanks for the additional details. It is definitely odd that this is the only device that has concerns. I know I recently had to have my router firmware updated by my cable provider. I would definitely recommend checking that. Additionally, Kooshie offered some great advice. Please visit Settings > Wifi > Menu > Advanced > and set Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep to "Always" and you can uncheck the "Avoid Poor Connections" option. Let me know how this works!

Thanks!

MelissaM_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello to you Greg_G!

We definitely want you to have a fully functional phone. The last thing we want is for you to leave the VZW family. I'm confident we can figure this out.

Thank you for all of the troubleshooting steps you've already completed. I took a deep dive in to this concern and didn't find that Motorola is aware of it. It's not a known concern for this device. Do you happen to notice if this only happens on this router or have you seen the same behavior on other routers?

Thanks!

MelissaM_VZW

0 Likes
Greg_G
Enthusiast - Level 2

I use my home WiFi most of all and I don't use use other WiFi very often, therefore I can't say whether it happens on other routers.  I can say that nine devices - counting my Razr Maxx - connect to my home WiFi but only the Razr Maxx has problems maintaining its connection.

0 Likes
Kooshie
Contributor - Level 2

You've probably already don't this, in the wife menu choose advance and never for sleep policy. Also uncheck avoid bad connections.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Greg_G - Thanks for the additional details. It is definitely odd that this is the only device that has concerns. I know I recently had to have my router firmware updated by my cable provider. I would definitely recommend checking that. Additionally, Kooshie offered some great advice. Please visit Settings > Wifi > Menu > Advanced > and set Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep to "Always" and you can uncheck the "Avoid Poor Connections" option. Let me know how this works!

Thanks!

MelissaM_VZW

0 Likes
Greg_G
Enthusiast - Level 2

On my phone "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" is already set to "Always" and

"Avoid poor connections" box is already unchecked. I'll attach a screen

capture.

As mentioned in my original message I have the latest firmware on my

router. I own the wireless router. It's not provided by cable company.

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 1:23 PM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

0 Likes
Kooshie
Contributor - Level 2

My friend had this happen also, they had to replace the device.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Greg_G, thanks for these details. How's your connection when connecting to other WiFi signals?

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Greg_G
Enthusiast - Level 2

That same question has already been asked and answered.  Here is a cut and paste of the answer from when the same question was asked previously:

I use my home WiFi most of all and I don't use use other WiFi very often, therefore I can't say whether it happens on other routers.  I can say that nine devices - counting my Razr Maxx - connect to my home WiFi but only the Razr Maxx has problems maintaining its connection.

0 Likes
SugarAndSpicex3

I am having the same connectivity problems.  It just started recently.  Sometimes it doesn't even list my home wifi as a choice.  When it is there, it shows the strength as excellent but still won't work.  I have checked my setting and "keep wifi on during sleep" is already set to always.  Can you offer any additional insight?  If I go in and manually turn the wifi off, it works via 3G/4G. 

0 Likes